Bubbles

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

Bubbles

by Snowboss4492

Well we have been talking about airstones, power heads with air diffusers etc etc etc - - I am about to go balistic on my tank with air bubbles - - -they are driving me insane {I mean it, it's 2 am and i'm squating in the corner with a bucket over my head in the dark drooling with half a snickers bar smeared on my like war paint !!!}

OK maybe not that bad - -but - I am haveing an air bubble problem - - i'm running a red sea HOB skimmer, 1 aquaclear 20 powerhead {with no air introduction} and a Hagen 110 HOB {400gph} filter with carbon bag and chemi-pure bag - - the air bubbles are not visably getting into the tank other than a few larger {not micro bubbles} from the filter here and there - -but I can blow them off the live rock and out of the substrate ever 10-20 minutes and their back

Could i have a co2 problem? could i possably be moveing to much water and i'm not seeing micro bubbles in there? I do have a damn brown algae thing going on that gets blown off daily with a baster and the bubbles are under that crap too - - -any thoughts ?????? im going to the store for another snickers....LOL Snowboss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Snowboss,
Why don't you try either unplug your filter or protein skimmer ( not at the same time) and check if your bubbles dissapear after 1-2 minutes, or maybe right away. Have you ever try that? Did you try to rearrange your powerhead? If thos aren't mirobubbles than it probably came from your skimmer, which is normail, even for an "estabilished" skimmer.
Can you tell where the bubbles came from, or they just show up on your rocks?

2nd version, what I truly belive,
If they are on your rocks, and you have no idea where they came from, don't suffer anymore.. The bubbles there because you brown algae.. If you go close you can see that they're kinda' fuzzy lookin' bubbles aren't they?The cyanobacteria creates oxygen on the biofilm ( the suface of the algae in this case) and that's what creates bubbles, and they stuck everywhere they can. Rock, sand, glass, but mostly around or on the algaes. Whenever you'll solve your algae problem the bubbles will dissaper like it has never been there. You know what to do... Waterchanges, less light, more natural algae inverts.
Does your protein skimmer works well?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I moved the power head today - -that helped a little... but I think you hit the nail on the head with it being the brown algae........the bubbles end up in little slimy lookinf brown ballons in that crap - - - I don't like hermits ....but what other types of crabs or shrimps would work on this stuff . . . sally's, emeralds, porcelins - - -or pepermint shrimp . . .ideas?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

It's a slime algae, not too many inverts known whod accept that type of algae..Turbos, astraeas, torchus snails might does the trick.. I know for sure that my lawnmower blennie used to loved that brown slime.. The bubbles will remain til you get rid of the algae.. Go get your siphon, and siphon it out as much as you can, and do waterchanges. Your water pretty much estabilished, 2 20% water change ( 1 week)won't hurt your biosystem.. That's what I'd do. And don't panic... Brown algaes are always dissapear.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

do two 20% water changes this coming week? sorry, just wanted to make sure I read it correctly

and I have wanted to get a lawnmower blennie -will he eat that stuff? -should I try one now? my not so dependable LFS has 3 of them ....i'm scared to get one though, lol but i know 2 of them have been there for a couple weeks

dick_headers

by dick_headers

yeah,
try the lawnmover blennie first, they are very strong hardy blennies if you can provide them enough algaes+ they're also sorta' disease "resistant" fishes. I say that because you probably don't trust too much in you LFS. If the store have them more than 1 week, go and grab one.Leave your water as it is right now, and see what happens. If your LFS close to your home, don't worry about accimlate the fish too long. 30-45 minutes will do it. I cross my finger, but I'm pretty sure the lawmover will love your environment.. Just let me know.
Yes, I meant 2 20-25 % waterchage one week, but hold on now, and wait whats your blennie has to say about you brown hell:-)
Bad time now, gotta get up early. Good night bigBoss,
DH

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ok - -ill probably get one tomorrow - - gotta finish a brake job on my 3/4 ton first thing in the am then ill head up and see what they have - - night my friend, Boss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Hows everything? Got your blennie? The brown slime gettting worse or is about the same?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Brown algae is about the same tonight - -i called live aquaria and added a blenny to the order they shipped today....should be here tomorrow afternoon . .at least i know they are shipping nice specimins and they have the 14 day guarentee

acclimation question - - i use a 1 gallon tank with the drip method....can i do the 2 clowns and the blenny at the same time or do each one seperately?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

clowns should be put in at the same time..i know that much...not sure about the third..i think you can get away with it...

Bubbles

15 posts • Page 1 of 2