lowering pH

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tinadno

lowering pH

by tinadno

Hey everyone so I've been trying to lower my pH in my tank b/c I'm starting a discus only tank but the pH will not go down. I have a huge piece of driftwood in there and a smaller grain of gravel which doesn't affect the chemistry of the water. My tap water naturally has a high pH and I've been adding pH down in my tank but its not changing at all. My pH reading is coming out to about 7.6....is there anything I'm not doing that I should be or something else I can use to lower it and keep it at a stable lower pH? Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated thanks! My tank is 70 gallons not sure if that matters or not.

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

well u need to put water conditioner in it if u havent yet it will make the tap water better for the fish witch will and should lower the ph and did u put any fish in it yet because if u put to many fish in at a time it will higher the ph u only put 3 or 4 in than wait a few day check the ph and if itis good u may add more hope this helps any more questions just ask me :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first of all, stop adding any chemical that changes your ph

and second and last, 7.6 is fine for discus...though the fish likes it around 7.0...the fish can handle 7.5 or 7.6

please stop adding the chemical, you will wind up killing the fish

tinadno

by tinadno

I dont have any fish in there yet and its not a brand new tank ive had fish in there before its well established and Discus like soft water and a lower pH so how would they be fine at 7.6?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree with yasher about the ph down stuff. It's rubbish.

The only effective way to lower ph that i have found is to use RO water. Filling your tank with half RO water and half tap water (also with every water change) would probably keep your ph at an optimal level for discus. The only problem is that when your tank is 70 gallons, that is a lot of RO water! If you went that route, you might want to invest in your own RO system. Probably not cheap, but maybe you could find one used.

Until then, do as yasher suggested. A slightly high but stable ph is better than a ph going up and down.

liam1995

by liam1995

what is RO water?

tekneb

by tekneb

RO means reverse osmosis. I have no idea what the water does but that is what it stands for if you'd like to google it.

Yasher I think you might have made a rare error. Discus need a really low PH, like in the 6.0-6.5 area. Thats why they are always kept by themselves or with other fish that tolerlate low PH like neons. The only reason I know that is cuz I wanted to get some when I first bought my 65 gallon but gave up on the idea after reading how specific their requirements are.

Driftwood is a much safer way to lower your PH then using the chemicals, but as with anything in this hobby, it takes some time. Give it another week or two, and of coruse keep us all updated.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

discus can handle ph from 6.0 to 7.5....so 7.6 is a little high, true, but the fish will be able to handle it

I have tap water coming out at 8.1, I never use chemicals...yet all my fish are okay

trust me, a steady 7.6 is fine for discus

the only natural way to reduce ph is by adding natural driftwood, I agree there tekneb

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

discus can handle ph from 6.0 to 7.5....so 7.6 is a little high, true, but the fish will be able to handle it

I have tap water coming out at 8.1, I never use chemicals...yet all my fish are okay

trust me, a steady 7.6 is fine for discus

the only natural way to reduce ph is by adding natural driftwood, I agree there tekneb

Alasse

by Alasse

Discus can be kept in higher, but will never be at their best and can be difficult to get to breed at higher PH If you want to keep your discus at their best and possibly breed then, then yes you do definately need low PH.

Do you have access to rainwater? Rainwater is low in PH (providing its not coming from a concrete tank) and very suited to discus, a cheaper version to RO. This is what i am going to use for my discus tank (coming soon). If you have rainwater get it tested to know its PH

Another way is to use peat moss under your gravel substrate, peat will lower PH. Also run spare water change water with peat in the filter, so that when its added its not that far off what already in your tank

Wood will do nothing or next to in lowering PH, especially once the tannins stop being released.

lowering pH

14 posts • Page 1 of 2