Tonights murky water presents....

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well that's cool you have an aquarium in the inside of your residence that only receives natural sunlight...guess we're a rare breed

Alasse

by Alasse

I know a few that use the sun for their lighting...it costs nothing...the main reason they do it. Electricity is a shocker to pay for here

jdak702

by jdak702

Not that rare... I know a SW LFS that is in a greenhouse... all sun

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

it's cool heidi, I can take it

well it's good to see more people go the all natural ecosystem. I do not do it to save electricity. I do it because a fish is much more comfortable instinctually in a natural system. If there are a bunch of gadgets in the tank it's like tire rims, sunken ships, etc, the fish may swim about it but a fish is truly comfortable in an all natural tank: wood, rock, sunlight, shade, live plant same goes for lives plants: decomposition (in this case, fish poop, food leftover from feeding...there is practically a bed of mud under the gravel for I never ever vacuum yet all the water testing is in normal range).

But it is good to see fish keepers go outside "expert" advice. People will find in this hobby that all this expert advice is not so expert afterall. The only two basic requirements for an aquarium is water changing and appropriate chemical balances. But even in the natural environment, all this is taken care of naturally (unless there is man made disaster): waters are constantly changing (water change) and certain waters have certain chemical parameters (oceans are different than streams etc).

So in my book, the closest we can get to the natural environment, the healthy a fish will be as well as it being comfortable. A fish is much more comfortable with direct sunlight, rock, wood, live plants, dependent on the fish, water circulation. I'd get rid of the filtration if I could but I must have it in order to keep the pollutants out of the tank as well as it helps with the agitation of the water surface (oxygen).

BUt it is good to see fish keepers take the risks to get their tanks as close as possible to nature. To instinct.

In the tank I have, one side is still water the other side very fast in order so all the fish can feel comfortable; some like caves or shade others like the light or open space.

So it all really depends on the fish/live plants/inhabitants...once this is down pact, then all else will fall into place.

And yes I do go on and on because I think beginners need information. A good book by Peter Hiscock (though even I have shed about 40% of what he has explained, but he is the closest to understanding fish (he is a marine biologist by trade)), a book would help a newcomer. But if people actually read a good fish book, sites like this would not be needed.

So yes, I do explain "on and on"...people can choose to skip over my name if they like, it's cool...but for those who need as much information as possible, I am here to help if I can.

you're welcome Heidi

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

Looks nice well done

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yasher you're very correct in that we should get our tanks as close to as natural as possible. And you're right that vacuuming is not required with plants. Then you said you'd get rid of filtration if you could but use it for pollutants. I'll just leave it there. The reason I am into fish as much as I am is from an old friend. He had a self contained tank that had no filters or surface movement hence the plants I'm sure you know. The LFS, of course, said this would not be possible. Now I love my "gadgets" but I also loved that tank! He also had a SW frag tank that he was working on getting it to that "natural environment". Last I knew he was super close. All I'm saying is there is a way to go filterless just takes tons of research and trial and error. It was only a 30 gal too which I was shocked at since, of course, the smaller the tank the harder to keep at a constant. Maybe he found that equilibrium? I just didn't have the info I do now to ask the right questions. :( I do always appreciate all your comments and "goings on" lol. I don't have to tell you to keep writing them, I know you will! Thanks!

Tonights murky water presents....

26 posts • Page 3 of 3