Tonights murky water presents....

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

oh well i love it yay

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as long as the rocks, woods and sand is boiled for about an hour, then cooled in water, the items placed in the tank should be okay.

for the rocks, if you apply a teaspoon of vinegar to the rock and fizzes, the rock is unsafe (too much salt and/or minerals that may leak into the tank that is harmful for the inhabitants); on the other hand, if there is no fizz, the rock is safe.

Thing about any type of wood found anywhere but in a pet store (which treats the wood), there are three things one must watch out for just any ol wood: over time it will become brittle and break off into the tank (reason wood is treated); the tannins in the wood will leak into the tank raising the ph very high and thirdly, the wood must be held down or else it will flow to the top (all these three things are prevented by buying it from a store for the manufacturer will treat the natural wood).

Nevertheless, rocks, wood, river pebbles, sand can be used if found outside wherever, just be careful how they are handled before they enter the tank.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Of course I did all that stuff before I put it in the tank. I love my fish. I read about polyurethane but I don't want to have it kill my fish. I've read it don't but I'll just let it break down and get a new one. As someone said before I'll prolly be tired of it by then anyway. Thanks for the info though. I like that you assume noone knows anything and explain it all. Some dont do that just do it this way. All my tanks are doing great and the tea look went away when I turned my O2 up. My fish are all colored up and looking great, especially my rainbows!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

thanks dream...yes I tend to go on and on most of the time, but I like to cover an issue or topic as best as I can.

The trouble I find with beginners, that their first fish purchase appears to be done on impulse...then all of a sudden, the cycling starts, and things begin to go awry. So they seek advice from sites like this. Whereas, if someone just took some time to read a good book or two (I recommend, Peter Hiscock for beginners), most of the cycling problems could be prevented.

So because most do not read books, I step in and write a "book" on whatever topic is swimming about in one's thread, and attempt to solve the problem.

But thanks for the compliment. Happy fishing

Alasse

by Alasse

I use all wood i find, i do though have 2 pieces i bought from my lfs. All including the bought ones:

1. Leach tannins for a time
2. Float until waterlogged
3. Dont break down if you use hardwoods

So not sure where you get that from yasher. Wood is also used to lower PH not make it higher :)

I also collect my own rocks, any that fizzle is use in my cichlid tanks, as they usually make the PH higher, which most (not all) cichlids like.

Alasse

by Alasse

dream...i love the tank by the way...i do agree though the columns dont sorta fit in with the rescape

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

alasse, glad you caught that in the post I wrote...you're right of course, the more wood the lower the ph.

actually the last few responses I have made in regards to low ph was in response to some members placing too much wood in the tank. so thanks for catching that for you 100% correct, the more wood the lower the ph levels

dream2reef

by dream2reef

So alasse you answered my question w/o me asking. I have a fossil looking rock I tried to put in my tank but it fizzed alot. So I checked it with vinegar and it fizzed there too. I was in the habit of checking every pc but that one slipped through. I'd not done any research yet but now I'm curious they love high ph here and it will counterbalance the wood better w/o having to get crushed coral and whatnot. The rock has some footprint in it!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

on the rocks alasse, it is true, the best way to test a rock is with vinegar and if the rock fizzes (I've typed this countless times). Now if you want a rock that raises your ph, then by all means, use a rock that fizzes

but for the newbies on this site or in this hobby, I attempt to give them tips to make it easier for them to get a basic freshwater aquarium up and running...once it is established, then absolutely yes, experiment all you like as long as you are not killing off the living inhabitants as you proceed (of course fish etc die, but let's keep it to only sudden disease or old age). But most who use this site or who are beginners should not go experimenting without understanding all the tank's properties (basic chemicals, water changing, water testing, photosynthesis (live plants), fish etc compatibilities, and observation. There are people on this site or as beginners that do not even observe what's in their tank on an every day basis (people confuse the difference between enjoying the fish etc and observing or looking for signs of future problems so one can stop things before the problem actually occurs).

So when I text on this site or for beginners, I am attaempting to give them as wise as possible needful information from experience so problems will not arise in the future.

On the other hand, there are many on this site that are experienced in fish keeping - like yourself, rocks can be used to raise the ph and wood can be used to lower the ph - the beginners would first go out and purchase a bottle of chemical to lower or higher the ph, whereas with experienced fishkeepers one will use natural objects like wood or stone. This ph being just one fine example of how to naturally control the aquarium.

The entire ph situation arose after stingray and myself (plus others) explained to a fishkeeper on this site that the fish in the tank will not tolerate low ph (there are some fish which do, true, but not in the person's tank that started the post - I think it was bangme33, unsure). The point is, of course one can experiment as long as one understands the fish etc basic requirements. The fish in the too much wood tank with very low ph, the fish are not naturally accostumed to such low ph - though it was not resolved for the person who posted the thread believes he/she is doing right for the fish etc in the tank.

So I hope you get my drift in this matter. Anytime I post - I have posted over 530 comments - I am speaking to the newcomer especially those who in the process of cycling - this site and others like it get newcomers because their cycling is all screwed up and need answers - and those who are experienced or have established tanks, can and will experiment with their tanks - for instance, no one on this site or anywhere that I know regulates natural sunlight into the tank (I have no lighting above the tank or inside the tank) in order to grow natural algae (cladophora) and provide natural vitamins especially D for the fish etc. The fish etc rise each morning to the sunlight peaking over the window then sets in the west (window is in the last west window). Half the tank is in direct sunlight, the other half is to the side of the wall (where the rock formation). Who would ever do this? No one. But I have successfully. Why? I am experienced.

Any way, this has been a good thread. Look forward to future threads.

Alasse

by Alasse

Actually i have 2 natural light tank too, so your not the only one there :) I used to have a 4ft ouside at one stage with 2 huge Fantail goldie breeders in it. The only reason its still not outside is because some scumbag jumped my fence and poisoned them. Now i trust very little outside. I also now have a dog that just loves water *LOL* a recipe for disaster!

Tonights murky water presents....

26 posts • Page 2 of 3