are there ANY nudibranch or other sea slugs for me?

29 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

theDeedo

by theDeedo

really? Have you guys ever experimented with the "spanish dancers"?? I think im way to "newbie" to even consider this, but they are pretty neat as well. Hey guys thanks for all the great insight, this forum has been much more helpful than others out there where my question gets lost in the crowd. Happy reefing!!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

dont the spanish dancers get big???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadiver/se ... 804515058/

theDeedo

by theDeedo

Actually a few years ago I started up a small 20+ gallon saltwater tank (very inexperienced at the time) and got a spanish dancer. It was only a inch or two big, but was incredible to watch float through the water. Unfortunatly he got sucked up in the filter. There was a screen on it but by the time I seen him all but a tiny knot had been sucked through.... back to the drawling board

jdak702

by jdak702

I am going for the lettuce sense he eats algae. I have one more prefilter sponge to cover my canister intake.

gumbii

by gumbii

the lettuce nudi isn't a good choice... needs alot of algae to live and will die and contaminate tank...

the only slug you can get is a sea hair... mine eats nori...

oh and the blue spots go away...

i also got a friend that breeds velvet nudibranch... very pretty... but they feed on flatworms only....

jdak702

by jdak702

really? that one looked promising sense it eats algae. my lfs only has lettuce and velvet. like you said, they only eat flatworms and i have never seen one in my tank.

theDeedo

by theDeedo

Gumbii are you saying that sea hares are the only ones that WONT nuke your tank? Have you heard of or had any luck getting the lettuce nuti to eat algae sheets?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Well nudis are used to get rid of pest in the tank
and they aren't really used as pets in most tanks. There only used as cheap ways to get rid of pest/algea.

I think there ugly and avoid them as much as possible.

jdak702

by jdak702

They look alright to me...
9be49-berghia_coerulescens.jpg
ec8a3-Chromodoris-kuniei-1.jpg
0d49d-iotw_seaslug9736.jpg
ab731-nudibranch.jpg
e08e2-Folded-Nudibranch-Secret-Bay-Gilimanuk-Bali.jpg

gumbii

by gumbii

the color of the nudi says alot about what it eats... those bright colored ones usually eat corals...

like the first one with the tentacles eats LPS... like duncans... i've seen them at LFS...

and the sea hair doesn't nuke the tank because you will see it dead and doesn't break down as fast as a nudi...

but if you leave it in your tank...

just saying...

are there ANY nudibranch or other sea slugs for me?

29 posts • Page 2 of 3