Please explain my water tests

34 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You can use organic or straight sea salt from the grocery store, and I would be careful. Too much can kill some fish like plecos. I'm thinking about how when you put in your powerheads and it brought up so much guck, the fact that your pH drops so quickly after a water change, and that without excess food the fish wouldn't be putting out that much waste, I'm thinking that the problem is that you have been feeding too much. I know you stopped for a few days, but over time if you feed too much you are filling up the gravel with detritus and fish poop. Even though you stopped feeding for a couple days there was already too much decaying poop in the gravel. Fish are always begging for food and will over eat if you let them. They say not to feed more than can be eaten in a few minutes, but this is often still way too much. I think you need to feed much less from now on. I would take out the fish, put them in a container, and completely clean the tank. Take out the water, the gravel, and clean it in the sink with tap water(you probably don't have any live bacteria in it so it won't matter about the chlorine, and start over, You have to get whatever is rotting out of there. Then set it all up again, put conditioner in, wait a few minutes and add Cycle. A little salt will help the slime coat on the fish. Then pour some of the water from the container into the tank and some of the tank water into the container so the fish can adjust to the difference. Do this a few times over a couple of hour to be safe and use an air stone for oxygen and then put them back in. Then be very frugal about feeding and I can't see why it shouldn't go fine from then on.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

This is odd, i actually don't overfeed my fish... it is rare for a flake to make it to the bottom, and a small one at that. Plus i did a really good gravel vacuum the last two times, my gravel is sparkling clean from what i can see from the top and the sides of the tank. There might be a small chance that in the small areas on the sides where the ug filter doesnt extend to (as its a bit smaller than the dimensions of the aquarium) that the gravel there is holding some waste, but it cant be much, as i did clean it and its in the edges where much waste doesnt end up. Hmmm... i read somewhere online that powerheads can actually decrease ph since the fast current created from them doesnt allow much bio filter to establish in the substrate... this was only one theory, so I don't rely on that to explain my low ph. But yeah, the low ph has made my ammonia much less toxic as other sites have pointed out, explains why my fish lasted through the rough stages of high ammonia, and explains why my nitrates haven't built up. My understanding also is that aeration will help higher the ph? and if thats so, then why doesnt my ph rise with both powerheads venturi on full blast seem to help, i doubt any freshwater tanks have this much aeration. And they output smaller bubbles and more bubbles than air stones, which is better right? very baffling.

Oh, and one of my bala's was dead this morning as i predicted. The other fish seem to be bouncing back though, we'll see if they last this out. Can putting in excessive amounts of amquel and novaqua maybe cause the ph issues... cuz i did put in a very very healthy dose of both with my water changes.... but then i would imagine it to stabilize after a few days... what u think?

gumbii

by gumbii

this is why i try to talk people out of undergravel filters... under the bottom frame of the filter plate there's always a huge buildup of gunk and rotting matter... sure they work great for a couple of months, but that stuff just builds up...

sponge filters > UGF... you're having PH problems because of the amonia spikes and unstable water changes...

i concur with pete... take the fish out... clean out the tank completly... and get some biospirra... and sans the under gravel filters... get two sponge filters and put the powerheads on them instead...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

well i could be wrong but intuitively the UG filter makes sense if you attached two powerheads to the risers as I have done (and per the advice of peter), since the strong currents leave no chance of buildup underneath the filter, and since the substrate now becomes a giant biological filter. There is definitely the great debate on whether to use UG's or not, but I think most people will agree a well maintained UG adds more filtration to the tank. Problem is... am i maintaining MINE correctly!!? lolol

We'll see... ill post another water test in a couple of days. I'm pretty sure my cycle has mini-restarted, so don't want to do a water change unless my ammonia spikes too high.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Update:

Ph 6
Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

My cycle has restarted right? i shouldn't bother with a water change just yet, right?

gumbii

by gumbii

did you go fishless or stocked...???

you washed your biowheels...¿¿¿¿? i would of just rinsed them out in de-chlorinated water...

you could add some prime and a bit of cycle to lower the ammonia if you're going stocked cycle...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

stocked, right now have two angelfish and a bala shark and a pleco... i thought about adding cycle, but the last time i added cycle my fish started stressing out, so im hesitant. plus im reading mixed reviews on cycle...

and as for washing the biowheels it was a momentary lapse in judgment, i knew not to do that, but my tank was stinking so badly and when i went to clean my filter i smelled everything and quickly ran it under water before realizing what i was doing, lol. Wont be doing that mistake ever again. But yeah, how bout amquel to reduce the effect of the ammonia... oh, and my really low ph of 6 is actually turning my ammonia into ammonium which is much less lethal than ammonia. dont ask me how that works, i looked it up, lol.

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... i'm hesitant about pouring any kind of bacteria/enzyme stuff like cycle in my tanks... go get some bio-spirra...

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Your under gravel filter is clogged up. However if you remove it you will have to cycle the tank again. I would suggest getting a different filter.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

good news my friends... after my latest (and very extensive) water change and gravel vac, my water test revealed low ammonia and a stable 6.8 ph... i believe my next test results should show nitrites and then nitrates. Everything looks clear and my fish haven't looked this happy in a few weeks. I'll keep up the update. oh, and no smell either. My two guesses as to the recurring low ph and the smell, was either a missed area where something had rotted in the gravel (as many suggested), or my driftwood which has a big hole in it (and i mean big)... when i went to remove it to do the proper cleaning a huge bubble surfaced that was hiding underneath the water and in this hole... maybe it had held a great amount of co2 and smell, who knows. But now its gone and i keep the driftwood the other way up. Either way, my aquarium has stabilized. Thanks for the feedback everyone, this has been a long thread and I have really really understood my aquarium through this hardship.

Please explain my water tests

34 posts • Page 3 of 4