Please explain my water tests

34 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Yes i just did another water change, took a water test... my ph is 6 and my ammonia is at zero... im guessing the water change did this, so will take another test tomorrow to get more accurate results. The lfs telling me my ph is the cause of a lot of my problems, and that water changes are the best way to rid my problems. i feel i have been doing excessive water changes, but really no other option at this point. I will look into java moss, but not sure if this mixes with a UG filter. One of my bala sharks is swimming upside down, so I expect him dead by morning. And yes, I do believe I killed my good bacteria when I rinsed my biowheel with chlorinated water, I forgot that little bit of important info, lol. Im sure my cycle is starting over, which means algae will be coming back soon. Ahhhh, this is frustrating to say the least. Can't wait to get the hang of this!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I guess some parts of LA have different sources for their water, and maybe different pH's as well, but my water is 8.0 or higher, so if you did a 30% water change you should have a pH of around 7.0 immediately after, if you do the math. Where do you live in LA? Maybe I could come and look at your tank and find something you missed. The Java moss is good when tied to the wood you have and it won't bother any filter and I could give you some of mine. I have a test kit as well. I wouldn't want to drive to Anaheim or somewhere too far, but you can give me a call and I'm confident we can get things right quick. Check your in box. PS Just to be clear; I don't charge for this. I just enjoy trouble shooting.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Thanks for the offer.

Yes i actually tested my water straight from the tap... ph of about 7.6

About a half hour after my water change my ph was at 6.0 The guy at the lfs told me that my low ph combined with my higher ammonia was what was allowing my fish to thrive... he said that the combo of these two actually makes each less harmful to the fish. Alone though, each will hurt the fish, especially the ph, as it allows ammonia and nitrites to thrive easier in the tank, regardless if its cycled or not. i dunno, what are some causes for such a low ph... i do plenty of water changes... maybe the best thing is to just leave it alone for awhile.

gumbii

by gumbii

wow... ¿you ran the biowheels under warm tap water...? that caused the mini cycles...

sounds like you have gas buildup, or organics in your gravel... i would vacuum the gravel a couple of times and leave the biowheels alone for now on...

another possibillity for the stinky water is internal worms or parasites inside the fish... since the bala shark is dieing, i'm pretty sure that's the source of the smell... i forgot what parasite it is esacly, but i would add aquarium salt just to be safe... that would also help with the ick...

if i were you i would quarantine the fish in a hospital tank and dissinfect the tank and filtration system...

good luck...

oh... BTW i live in bell gardens where the 5 and the 605 meet, and my tap water is 7.8... I heart our high ph water...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

any chance of a gas buildup under my undergravel filter? will gas buildup drop my ph that fast after a water change? i have vacumed plenty but yeah, recently switched from air stones to powerheads for my riser tubes on my UG filter. All 4 of my fish are infected, so quarantining is useless at this point. if they die i will definitely clean the whole tank out and start from scratch... probably a fishless cycle, but at this point, am hoping things just bounce back. can't figure out whats making my tank water so acidic so fast. the smell is completely gone btw, as fast as it came it went. So thats good at least.

gumbii

by gumbii

do you have driftwood in the tank...? maybe it's rotting...

hmm... i've heard of airstones raising the PH of tanks... i've actually done that a couple of times... i would leave a 5g bucket with two airstones in my fish room... the next day the PH was up to 8.1 and it was filtered unchlorinated water... it went up ten points from 7.1... that's a huge change over night... what kind of airation do you have right now besides the biowheels...???

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I have the two pieces u see in my profile pic (the recent pic)... as far as aeration, my biowheel cascades water into my tank and I have two aquaclear 20 powerheads with the venturi air feature on full blast, there is a lot of aeration in the tank. the both point upwards to the surface, to stir the surface better. i have tons of bubbles throughout the main water column. shouldnt the wood absorb the acidity?

gumbii

by gumbii

the wood lowers PH by leaking tannins into the water... you could boil the water a couple of times to get rid of the acid... i usually boil the wood a good 10 times...

sounds like you are doing all you could... i still recomend the salts... also treat the fish if possible... a low dose of melafix wouldn't hurt either... just take out the carbon...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

which aquarium salts do u recommend and how much for a 20 gal? the wood i got straight from a populated tank at the lfs, so im sure they treated it before using it for one of their showcase tanks. But if u suggest boiling it further to help raise my ph i might just try it.

gumbii

by gumbii

sorry for the late reply... i just finished installing PS CS3...

i would do the recomended dosage on the salt... get the cheap brand... um... API i think... i don't have any near me, but yeah... i think it's a tablespoon per 10 gallons... don't use iodine table salt... although, it isn't bad a tablespoon would be deadly... you could use pickling salt or canning salt too... but in LA it's hard to get sometimes...

if you want to try to raise the PH yourself you could use sodium bycarbonate (baking soda)... a table spoon per 10g or so... but you must be ready with a tester... i use 1-2 table spoons per 5g for my lake tanganyika tank... it raises it to about 8.8ph...

Please explain my water tests

34 posts • Page 2 of 4