Jewel Cichlids

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

akakai

Jewel Cichlids

by akakai

I am battling with my Jewel cichlids which I thought were stunning fish when I saw them at the pet shop. But since I brought them home over 2 months ago, they have always hidden and rarely come out. Infact whenever I go near they tank, they scurry all over the place and injure themselves trying to run away from them. They hardly even ever change color to the red they are associated with.
I have tried everything from regular water changes to temperature changes... even changed the gravel and filters!!!! but nothing! Any advice? If I can't get any help, I am giving them away this weekend as the tank is in my living room and looks really nice to be 'wasted' on fish that are never seen!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Are they the only fish in the tank? I can't exactly put my finger on the problem......do you spend time in front of the tank everyday? Sometimes cichlids need that to get use to you! I stare at my tank a couple times a day just so the fish know me. Cichlids are very smart and usually never skiddish. I dunno? Give us a little more detail about the tank. How big, other fish?

akakai

by akakai

Thanks for your reply,
It's a 15g tank with only the four Jewels in it, didn't want to put anything else in due to the tank size and also coz I read somewhere that jewels are aggressive. Anyway, right now I just want fish that I can actually see.
I even try nowadays to spend more time around the tank so that they can get used to me, but nothing. Help!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Hmmm, you bought them 2 months ago and they're still skittish? Jewels can be very aggresive but they might need another fish in there to show them that there's nothing to be afraid of??????
The only problem would be is that the fish tank is only a 15 gallon so you really don't have the room to add another fish. I would maybe look at getting rid of two of them and keep 1 male and 1 female if your looking to mate them. If you just want to keep them for the visual I would keep 2 of the same sex and add another fish (maybe dwaf mbuna) See what happens? Sorry I can't help you more.

akakai

by akakai

Do you think it would be safe to add malawis in there? maybe an electric yellow, and one of those orange ones (can't for the life of me remember it's name). Really looking to have a pretty 'display' tank in my lounge and do love the fish

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I have yellow labs, red zebras (the orange one), kenyi and acies in my 55 gallon. I was thinking about adding a Jewel but decided against it b/c they're better in pairs and I only wanted one. Anyway, you should be okay with maybe a Red Zebra or Electric yellow. I wouldn't go too aggressive with the mbuna just b/c the Jewel might end up getting killed. But again, in a 15g you really don't have many options. I would look at getting at least a 30 gallon if you wanna keep any type of chichlid.

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

AKAKAI, i was reading about your problem and my advice is...
You have a few problems, Fist, dont mix the jewls with the africans in any size tank. They are diffrent fish al2gether. Jewls pefer a higher ph than the avarage tank, but africans need and even higher ph for them to live happily and show their colors. I noticed that you never mentioned your taks ph.
If you know what it is, this will help. also, what type of decor is in your tank?(rocks,wood, plants, filter,ext.)
Also esparzar1 is rite, if you want to get into Malawi's you will need to do your research and upgrade to a larger tank, but If you want to have a beatuiful 15gal... Then you will probley have to start over, with some tetras, or mollys, or somthing real small because jewls can get kinda big, and if they arent happy, then they will be plain and anti social. Also, what food do you feed them?
For lots of info regarding africans and south american cichlids, check out cichlidfourm.com
i do belive that jewls are south amercians, and you can read lots there. Check out the profiles, and find your fish.
Good luck!
JazzyLadyD

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Do NOT get any Africans! The Electric Yellow and Red Zebra will just get way too big (close to 6") and way to aggressive in a 15 gallon. They might work OK at a young age at say 2" but once they hit maturity (around 3") all hell is going to break loose and you will have dead fish on your hands! A Malawi should not be put into a tank smaller than a 30 gallon.

akakai

by akakai

Thanks guys, got rid of the jewels and now just have 2 electric yellows and two red zebras. Just couldn't bring myself to give them away, but will keep them for a while until they get big then get something else for my tank. Mollys? haha, am sorry I went through my "molly phase" already, and i consider those "toy fish" that, guppies and so on, I wouldn't.
When I'm done with the malawis, in a couple of months I think I'll do clown loaches. For now I'll just stick with what I've got. Besides, want to do abit more research on the loaches, and in JHB, loaches are not exactly cheap lol

JazzyD_KingRoy

by JazzyD_KingRoy

loaches are great, they live well with the malawi cichlids, but you def def def need a tank upgrade. TTYL

Jewel Cichlids

12 posts • Page 1 of 2