20 High Freshwater tank could use advice.....

36 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Hmmm... ok well the idea of returning fish bugs me, so I think instead of taking back the one kind of tetra and getting a few corys I am gonna simply buy a few more of each tetra. This should create 2 schools and everyone should be happy until the angels are big enogh to eat them :P. LOL. just kidding they will be rehomed by then. Since most corys are 3", and you usually get em in grps of 2 or more. I should have room for 4-5 more tetras and call it a day until the next tank gets bought. So is this an ok fix? Just add enough tetras to make each kinda have 6 or more of its own variety? If so let me know, I am gonna have to hit the store.

As for Seascape I think I am gonna have to check it out today. Open at 10 or 11 I think.

I have done alot of research online, but it seems as if this hobby isn't very specific. I mean a good work-up of any fish variety contains plenty of "this might be ok" and "this worked for me but not him" etc... I think that is why I am liking it soo much. It's a kind of art if you will. It seems there are so many ways of getting to the same result, and yet so many ways of boffing it up completely. I really appreciate all the advice guys. I would have killed a few fish by now without it I am sure.

JB

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

When and if you add corys, don't add a "pair" of corys. They are best kept in schools. 5 or more. Great little fish.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

JB, yes you are will fine by bringing up the numbers to 6. And even though tetras are smaller than angelfish, the fish are faster than the angelfish, so the tetras will be fine plus tetras feel much securer in groups of 6 or more, it's a herd mentality.

And you are so correct on the art of the hobby. We all try to achieve an ecosystem. Some like all types of treasure chests and bridges and neon lighting and fake plants and what have you, other like natural but with hoods on, lighting apparatus, C02 gas systems, what have you, and others like me go as natural as possible. But the goal is the same: to create a balanced ecosystem.

It is good to see you are enjoying this hobby. Now if only I could figure out a way to take my fish for a walk.......but really, you're doing fine.

Happy fishing

miami754

by miami754

JB, hey I live in Colorado Springs as well. Dizz and I have exchanged fish several times. Seascape is the best place in town although the owner can be a bit "in your face" and moody. You get used to her after a while though and if you visit the place frequently then she calms down as she starts to get to know you.

DIzz, sorry I have been out of touch lately. I've been swamped at work. How are the cichlids going? Have you got a base for the 55 yet or is it still on the floor? My daughter misses your cats.

miami754

by miami754

Dizz, I love the pic of the dominant red that you have for your profile. Is that one of the guys I gave you? If so then he is looking really good. Nice work. I've been watching your videos on here lately. It's cool that you have done such a nice job documenting your stuff.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Hey stranger! Yes, that beautiful Red Zebra is the little tiny guy you first gave me, Punky! Didn't he come out awesome?? One of the females you gave me in the second batch spawns for me once a month. The other one has twice, but each time the second one picks on her until she swallows the eggs. I have 3 small ones I am growing out to add more females. I just can't seem to find any as pretty in the stores.

The Africans are doing awesome! All but a couple new ones are over 4" now, most closer to 5"! Yeah, tank is still on the floor, but I did replace the bad acrylic one with a glass setup, which I like much better.

Right now I have 2 females Greshakei (Ice Blues) holding, a Yellow Lab holding and a Red Zebra holding in the tank! I also have a batch of Bolivian Ram wigglers about to become free swimming this weekend and watched some Zebra Danios spawning this afternoon in the planted tank! How cool is that? Of course all the other fish ate the Danio eggs. They spawn in a chunk of Java moss.

I did finally find a male Acei (they have some gorgeous ones at Seascape right now, all about 4"). Problem is, my biggest female is too dominant and wont let him spawn with her "girls" so I may take her in to trade for another male this weekend.

Good to see you! We have another addict in town LOL

miami754

by miami754

I saw the ice blues in the email you sent me. They looked awesome. Are you enjoying them?

That's great that everything is turning out so well. I know what you mean about the red zebras. I have to keep selling / trading mine to the local fish stores because I have a ton born each month. It is getting a little crazy to be honest with you. I do enjoy the mating behavior, but I may end up going with the all male tank and just go one per species. I can't keep up with these guys :). Your socofoli is doing great in my tank. He is about in the middle in terms of aggression so he hides down low away from the bigger guys. He colored up nicely though and everyone likes him a great deal when they see my tank because his color is so different from the others.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Hi there Miami! I ahven't gotten a chance to check out Seascape yet but with all that Dizz has told me about it I can't wait to see what they have. I am surprised to see so many Colorado Springs people in this Forum!

As for the 20 high I am going to add a few more of the neons, and soon the 55 gallon will be up and running so the Angels will have a proper home. I have the taller plants and will be installing them this weekend in concurence with a water change. All seems to be going well!

JB

dizzcat

by dizzcat

JB, What kind of tall plants did you end up getting? Real ones or fake? I find they don't care so much as long as they have a place to hang out in. :-)

Miami, I love my male Ice Blue, he is soooo full of character! Great tank boss too, lets everyone know he's in charge. If the Lab and Red males start to fight, he breaks it up. But he lets the other males deal with their own females. He constantly digs and moves the fake plants around! I looked in the tank one day to watch a tall grass plant walk across the back LOL

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

They were fake. I would be affraid of planting real plants in that... horrible.... pastel-like..... pink and blue gravel. At least the ladies in the house like it though. :)

20 High Freshwater tank could use advice.....

36 posts • Page 3 of 4