20 High Freshwater tank could use advice.....

36 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yes, you will need ammonia strips...better yet, the liquid water tests are much more accurate. It takes a little longer, but you get a much accurate reading.

Ammonia builds up if there is overfeeding thereby too much fish poop, so yes, ammonia reading, at least once a week, is a must. Ammonia reading must always be a constant 0.

Constancy is key in this hobby.

Tiger barbs can be bossy, but if they are kept in a group of 6 or so, they will leave others alone. Angelfish are territorial, and though their fins can be nipped at by the faster barbs, Angelfish should be okay for they have certain places in the tank which are their own, and if the space(s) are entered, they should be able to gang up on the tiger barbs.

20H is not the greatest tank. WHat you want is 20 low, that is, wide and long but not too high. Fish prefer more open space to swim. Instead with a 20H you less width space and more heighth space. Fish prefer to swim back and forth not up and down, understand? But for now, your 20H will do. At least it is 20. The hexagon tanks are pitiful, to me, it's cruelty. Nice on the human eye, but hard for a fish to be a fish. Bt a 20H is okay. It will do for now.

Possibly in time, you can go for a 40 or better yet 55 gallon. You will find, believe it or not, a larger tank is much easier to keep for you have more of a water column to play with, which permits you to make more errors because the water column will absorb most foul ups, that is, if you catch it in time. OPf course, prevention is key. So even with a large tank it must be monitored.

I have tetras (silver tip) and again, like the barbs, very energtic. You must find balance with your tank. Too many fast fish will disturb the angelfish which are much slower. But in this hobby, only time will tell how each fish adjusts. Just a word of caution from the wise (((smiles)))

Personally, I would take out the bubble wand. Purchase a 4" long airstone with a pump and a backflow filter attached to the airline, and run the bubbles from a corner. I realize the bubble wand is more eye appealing, but you must try to acheieve a balance between the living species needs and the human's wants, understand?

But if you must have the bubble wand, by placing it under the filter, you will get much more agitation at the water surface. Water surface agitation provides for more oxygen in the water column (or the water). The bubbles provide absolutely no oxygen, but the surface agitation provides the oxygen. So with the bubble wand under the filter, you will provide the tank with much oxygen, which is why you need an oxygen water liquid test, because if there is too much oxygen in the tank, especially with live plants, you will kill the plants, even though the fish will be fine. Less oxygen, the fish will suffocate.

So the best bet is, if you must have the bubble wand, place it under a heater, say about 4", that way, when the water rises, the water will be warmed as it is distributed around the tank or water column.

Anyway, hope this helps.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I am near by. I live by Austin Bluffs and Academy.

The Neon's are probably still just nervous. After a while they will probably be all over the tank. I have 2 groups, one group of 7 Neon's and a group of 6 Rummy Nose tetras. They swim in groups, back and forth. My Rummy Noses were very shy when I only had 3 left, but since adding another 3 they are all over now, their noses nice and red and happy :-) When Tetras spawn you can tell. They will get in a plant (fake or real) that has a lot of tiny leaves and roll around in it. I had a group of Glow light tetras that would spawn every couple week, and they did a barrel roll. I watched my Zebra danios spawn last week and they got deep in a clump of Java Moss and did these tight little circles. Of course my Baby Bolivian Rams found out and ate all the eggs. *sigh*

Your Neon's could also be afraid of the Angel. I had a couple that stayed back in the plants until I re-homed my Angel. Within an hour after the Angel was gone they came out and played everywhere.

I have a bubble wall close to the filter out spill too and it does make tiny bubbles. Its fine, keeps the tank nice and oxygenated. The only reason to move it is if you don't like the look of the water with a bunch of bubbles in it.

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

Thanks for the info. Yeah the Neons blues seem to be all over... the oranges are moving a bit, but not too much. The wife is kinda stuck on the bubble wand thing, and since I don't have, and probably won't in this tank, live plants I am not gonna stress it. The wand actually lays, at one end, right under my heater. So at least I got lucky and did that right. As for re-homing the angels that is what the next tank will be for. I am planning to plant it and get some nicer, more exotic fish to pair to the angels.

Wow, I used to live at Austin Bluffs and Rangewood. The apartment complex there. I guess we really were neighbors lol.

So with the next tank in the next few months, at the latest X-mas, do I have room to drop in a pair of cory cats with 2 angels and 8 tetras? The angels will have some size to them by the time I move em, so I don't want to lose one right before I do because they got too big etc... I bought the amonia strips for now, but I am looking into the different liquid kits, and will likely get one of those. Anyone have any specific test kits they prefer? One that covers as many bases as possible would be nice.

Thanks for all the info and guidance!

JB

P.S. Since your local Dizz, what LFS do you use? I have been hitting the Petsmart and such so far, but would prefer a place with a bit more focus and expertise.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I am not too happy with Petsmart.

You may pay a little in postage and handling, but I find that Dr Fosters & Smith.com is a sure bet. And their LiveAquaria.com, or live species are the best I have found, I purchased fish and invertebrates from them, never had any die in transit or at home.

Red Sea water liquid test kits I have found to be most accurate. I have PH, Alkaline, Hardness, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, Oxygen, Iron, Phosphate (Copper and Salinity I rarely use), the other ones I listed, I use on a regular basis. You can purchase them as one large kit, for about $25.00 online or individually.

The ones you must always have on hand, tested once a week are: nitrite (always 0), nitrate (always between 10-30), and ammonia (always 0), these three are a must. You want to get fancy, you get the others. You keep the water within the above-stated parameters, and you will have healthy fish or a healthy tank.

Test strips, the 5 in 1 (I used to have these, not anymore) only provide the all in one. Liquid test kits are on an individual basis. One bottle does one thing.

The larger tank you get the better. And disregard the concept of 1" size of fish for each gallon...because some fish are skinnier than others. For instance, if you have a Dwarf Chain Loach which is very skinny, adult size is 3" (you always want to purchase with adult size in mind), you can buy more of these than a red platy that grows to 3" but is slightly wider. Understand?

It's all about the size of the ADULT fish and the width as well as the length. So if you have Endler's Livebearer (essentially a guppy) which is skinny and adult size is 1", you can have over 30-40 of these in a 55 gallon tank as opposed to 10-15 Dwarf Chain Loaches which are skinny but grow to 3"...I think you get the drift.

So get a 40 or 55 gallon tank, you will can keep many more.

Hope this helps...anymore question(s), please do not hesitate to ask

dizzcat

by dizzcat

When you get a new tank, if you have Angels make sure its a 30 gallon or more. They need the height. I had a 3" Angel in a regular 20 gallon that was 16" high and the poor thing swam sideways! You can add Cory's too. I have some and they do a great job of getting the food that the others miss. And they are cute and fun to watch. My little neighbor kid calls them vacuum fish LOL.

Maybe your Tetras are afraid of all the bright colored rock and plants LOL. I had a tank like that when my daughter was little, and I hated it, such an eye sore! But, we do for the kids, right?

I would suggest until you get a new tank, get some plants that are long and tall for the Angel. They like to hang out near the top under a plant. Go with a dark green to help mute the brightness of the tank. Get a tall grassy plant (you can get fake plants at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby, just wash them and pull the wires out) that is tall enough to reach the top and maybe hang over a bit. I would stick one in each back corner. It might help your Tetras feel more secure too. Also, a background on the tank will help with that too. Plain blue or black looks nice.

I use a store that is at the corner of Union and Academy (south/ west corner) called Seascape Aquatics. They are great, have a good section of fish and live plants and will take the time to answer all your questions. They have really helped me have healthy tanks. They are closed on Mondays, but open every other day. You know they have pride in their store because it is very clean and all the fish are healthy.

What kind is the orange Tetras? Look here to see what they are:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium ... ?c=830+890

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

and yes, like dizzcat said, it's the heighth as well. Angelfish are skinny but their fins are of heighth, so you want to have a tank that takes this into consideration

Tall plants will help the angelfish feel more at home plus it will bring out its graceful swimming especially if you have water movement.

well I am well over my 5 replies (when I am on this forum, I do 5 replies, then I am off or else I will get too caught up in givig advice and never get anything achieved around the house)

welcome to the forum JB20H...in time, you will be JB55L.

Happy fishing!!!

JB20High9473

by JB20High9473

OK. Yeah I called Seascape today but Mondays a no go. I will have to wonder in tomorow hehe. As for the plants that sounds like a plan. I will try to pick some up.

The tetras are Gold Neon Tetras. I guess I should have mentioned that. As for the JB55L... man its gonna happen. I got so many birds peepin in the wifes ear she will let me get it just for silence! Yeah the 20high is mostly for them, and do they ever like color.... sigh. You know the plants to the far left and right even glow in the dark for about 20 minutes... double sigh. I will have to pick up some of those liquid tests as soon as my stirps are getting low.

So If i get yall, the cory cats are a go with my current set-up, or wait till I have the bigger tank? Also, I was looking at the cory cats and really like the False Julii Cory Cat. Does it make a difference which one I get? Other then looks of course. I read up on them and it seems they are all very similar.

Anyways I have to fertilize the lawn, the dang sprinklers just got fixed, so I will be back later for more jewels of wisdom.

Thanks again,

JB

zambize

by zambize

I'm not sure what an "orange" tetra is, but if it is a schooling or schoaling fish, which nearly all tetras are, then they may be nervous because there are only 4 of them. They do best in groups of a minimum of 6. In the wild they swim in much larger numbers for safety so they get rather jittery if there aren't enough of them in their school, even if there aren't any predators around their brain is programmed to maintain a school of a certain school or just hide. If you can, it's best to take back either the orange or the blues and just get 8 of one or the other. It'll be more visually appealing, and the fish will feel better. Small tanks look better when there is only 1 or 2 species of fish swimming around. I know, I never say what you want hear. lol

Z

dizzcat

by dizzcat

When you go to Seascapes, look in the first tank on the right. They have a couple of the cutest Panda Cories I have ever seen!! I want them so much but I think 4 in my 30 gallon is the limit with all the other fish I have.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

true zambize, I have silver tip tetras, a group of 8, they are very secure in open water, soetimes even playing or chasing the zebra danios...JB, any cories you do get, just make sure you buy the ones under 3" adult size, when you do get your larger tank, you can add more...False Julii corycats like the bottom as far as I recall, best in groups of 6 or more, so you may be pushing it right now. Also these little guys like plants (live) as I recall - I once wanted to purchase these guys but decided to go with the Dwarf Chain Loaches - so you may need to invest in live plants.

Tetras, zebra danios, small fish like these will do okay for now. Get some books by Peter Hiscock, very good reads. I have over 25 freshwater fish and plant books, the more research the better. It's a much better hobby if taken very seriously. It will return years of pleasure, I promise you this. Take the time and the adventure will be well worth it.

Hope this helps

20 High Freshwater tank could use advice.....

36 posts • Page 2 of 4