SAVE OUR HOBBY!!!!!! FRESH AND SALT!!!

31 posts • Page 3 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

megski

by megski

The bill seems impractical to me. Why not ban the species that biologists know are invasive, say the Burmese python for example. I still see these animals for sale in pet stores, and there have yet to be limitations and criteria for the ownership. Partly I'm sure because if the liberal purchase or trade of exotic pets and the demand of the public to keep them. The only problem is how can anyone no matter how responsible manage a 30 foot python? They can't. So for decades people have been shamefully dumping these unmanageable animals where ever possible. Now that my tangent about pythons is over, I think this is being proposed because the owning exotic animals has been handled poorly and instead of nipping the truely invasive species in the bud, they're going after all the bases. Its really unfair considering the people who pay thousands for a cockatoo or the man who pays hundreds for a fish.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

Here is my response....
Dear Mr. Dring:

Thank you for contacting my office to share your thoughts on H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act. As your Representative, I am guided by the perspectives of my constituents and our common goals of restoring fiscal responsibility to our nation's federal government, revitalizing our economy, protecting the Chesapeake Bay and preserving the agricultural heritage of our communities.

The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act was introduced by Representative Madeleine Bordallo on January 26, 2009. This bill would strengthen the Department of Interior's ability to limit the risks posed by nonnative species. H.R. 669 has been referred to the House Natural Resources Committee. I serve on the House Natural Resources Committee and I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come before Committee.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future regarding issues that concern you. I believe that continuous communication with the residents of the First District is essential to helping me be an effective advocate for you in Congress. To stay informed, please visit my website at www.house.gov/kratovil.

Thank you again for contacting me and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Frank M. Kratovil, Jr.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I think that the ape going haywire on the old lady is what sparked this. Im sure you guys heard of that....she was his keeper and she called 911 telling them he was killing her. Crazy stuff. I highly doubt my corals and fish are going to raise out of my tank and strangle me though.....And as far as the snake.....ive seen that locally. I think the crazy big animals should be thought about.....Im sure its cool to have a 15+ ft python......my friend has one.....but honestly.....why. I would get just as much enjoyment out of a little corn snake. If it comes down to our fish, im going to be sitting on the steps of congress.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

lol lemme know im only 35 mins from there

volcom

by volcom

I didnt read all the articles and stuff. But seriously!? would this take affect in canada? but I guese if the US doesnt have them, we wont get any imported from US...

volcom

by volcom

does anyone really think this will happen? if they wanna band someonthing stupid then band. like smoking, or something lik epollution in factories. something that REALLY nagatively affects the enviroment. is this happening in CANADA too :O

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Your okay in canada. But considering a lot of the companies are in the US....it will suck. Of course Red Sea and other brands introduce there products overseas before they bring them out in the US. I dont know why....

volcom

by volcom

Oh. well its still a bad decision in my opinion. as if people arent going to just breed their own fish. like it will be nearly impossible to even fufill.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I can picture it now........ a man holding bags of guppies avoiding search lights and dogs on the boarder of Mexico all for her little daugher who then killed them with soap. lol

peterkarig

by peterkarig

I agree with legislation that really does help with the problems at both ends as well as the trade in aquarium species. I don't want to contribute to the destruction of native reefs and I also don't want to see species in aquarium stores that most people cannot care for properly.

I own fish that I don't want sold in my local stores, not only because they're illegal, but because 99.9% of these sold fish will die because they need such a large environment to keep alive. They will also be very bad for my native waterways as they would be the top predator very quickly and probably erradicate many other species.

I have committed to keeping my fish in my aquariums, but I don't trust most of the other people that buy without thinking of the responsibilities involved.

My local Petco actually sold alligator gars for a short time. Very irresponsible.

I agree with the people who say that this is worth getting involved in. There are problems that need to be dealt with in this hobby, and that too many beautiful creatures and native habitats are being destroyed so that we can have a few pretty fish or coral.

SAVE OUR HOBBY!!!!!! FRESH AND SALT!!!

31 posts • Page 3 of 4