SAVE OUR HOBBY!!!!!! FRESH AND SALT!!!

31 posts • Page 2 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I don't disagree with everything the bill addresses, I don't think any of us do. Lionfish and other non-natives obviously pose a problem or this bill would've never been created.

All in all to me though its like too many other things in life. A great example eludes me atm so I'll resort to something simple.

Someone of a particular stature acquires a fake drivers license and tries to use it to fool the law. This leads federal and state legislation to pass laws that create more time, paperwork, and other proof of identification more necessary from the average, honest, law abiding citizen.

Its like your teacher gave you a lollipop and you tell one other kid so all the other kids ask for one and then the teacher decides the entire class will never receive any candy again.

This guy eric only addresses and highlights a small portion of the bill.

I think that the governments best efforts would be spent in funding programs designed to control the damage that has already been done, and creating laws and regulations designed to make fish/plant/wildlife wholesalers adhere to them by inspection, furthermore to make it known to buyers the possible consequences of a purchase and the monetary ramifications in the form of large fines and loss of any property associated with the violation.

Just my thoughts.

Here's a copy of the email(s) I sent.

"April 11, 2009

Dear Representative (name of any of the 9 reps in my district),

Please join me in opposing H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act. There are many flaws within the bill that would inherently do more harm than good.

I am strongly opposed to this bill, but will strongly support a better framed legislation designed to make domestic and non-domestic pet owners more responsible and accountable.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mr. Travis Mercier"

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I like it. I agree that things need to be controlled. I want to be someone who helps....Id love to work for the state as a marine biologist and help prevent any more mahem. But they dont need to go overboard and prohibit the sale of any of these specimens. And in all honesty........I think the bill is leaning more towards exotics......big spiders.....snakes.....lizzards...I have a friend that had a rainforst iguana........got out.....It ate three peoples PET cats........yeah......it was soo big that they had to call the zoo.......THATS why this bill is in proposal.

jweb

by jweb

Even if they do ban them, the fish already in the US can be bread and sold I'm sure. If they ban the breeding and sale of them, well then, I guess we'll have to start our own illegal fish smuggling ring or breeding ring.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

YES! Its goin to be like moon shine!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I haven't taken the time to read the bill, so i won't comment on it, but i appreciate saltwaterpimp's comments. These little ecosystem's that we've created and love so much are priceless, and we all hate to think that our hobby might be threatened, but the thing that is even more priceless are the natural ecosytems from which they originated. Do we consider our fish tanks something that is purley for our intertainment, or do we love them because they are a reflection of the natural world which we learn and grow through trying to imitate in a 30 gallon glass box? Fish enthusiast should be at the front lines in protecting the environment! I would encourage all of us (me included!) to read this bill and send thoughtful comments to our legislators.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well I realize that it is to fund more money into saving our environments........and I am an environmentalist......for sure. I force my family to recycle, take 2-4 minute showers....help animals everytime I see one in distress.....throw back what I catch when I go fishing.....when i go diving I make sure no one else touches anything either....I believe we should be the first ones to help as well......BUT...im not a big fan of un needed spending, I would like to see a detailed spending plan on this bill, and where they want to go with it. The bill is proposing a (research) to ban exotic animals that are living in an invasive manner in the United states.....Basically. That includes but doesnt limit fish. I think the only real problem fish that we are encountering is the lovely lion fish thats eating everything in its path. Mostly.......it will ban what people like my friend are doing.....HE has a 14 foot snake in his garage.....and only one person in our town will sell him rabbits....because he feed its a rabbit a week......YES A WEEK. THATS why this bill is in proposal

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-669

If you want to know whos voting for it. there you go. What it means to who. Its basically "funding" research on which animals to rid out of our homes.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Anyone hear anything about this? Was to be considered yesterday?

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

I finally got a response from my congress rep. and of course it was replied just as if it were straight out of a text book. let me know if you want to see the response and if anyone else has gotten a response and we can compare at how textbook it is

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

There was an initial automated response and then this came about a week later....

Dear Mr. Mercier:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H. R. 669). I appreciate the opportunity to respond.
This Act would direct the Secretary of the Interior to publicize regulations establishing a process for assessing risk of all nonnative wildlife species potentially being imported into the United States. Species that have previously been approved under this Act would be exempt. The legislation would establish factors that must be considered, including the identity and species level of the organism, the native range of the species, potential harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States.

Furthermore, a fee would be imposed on the individual who submitted a proposal to include a species in either of the lists to recover the costs of assessing risks of nonnative wildlife species. A Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Fund would be established into which such fees and fines for violations will be deposited. This Act would re designate the Invasive Species Council established by Executive Order 13112 as the National Invasive Species Council.

This legislation was introduced by Representative Bordallo of Guam in January 2009. Most recently, it has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife.

Thank you for bringing my attention to this issue. I will continue to study the matters involved and will keep your views in mind. I appreciate you for taking the time to contact me. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on issues that are important to you. In the meantime, I encourage you to visit my Internet website http:///www.bartlett.house.gov/ where you can sign up for e-mail updates.

B
Sincerely,

ROSCOE G. BARTLETT
Member of Congress

SAVE OUR HOBBY!!!!!! FRESH AND SALT!!!

31 posts • Page 2 of 4