Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

49 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

santamonica

by santamonica

"Problem is when your holding 100 or so fish....you couldnt build one big enough for that bio load."

Certainly they could; see the below pic.

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/MultiScreen.jpg

"AND two protein skimmers."

Skimmers don't remove Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate. None. Not even a little.

"his store smells like ass."

I guess so with that big thing. The one linked above fits in a 20g, and is sealed tight. It filters 1000g.

"Shold i just keep doing water changes and see how things go??

If you are happy with the tests, why change?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

hy are you so pushy with this idea. it is one thing to inform and show a new way of doing something old, but you are a little late this type of filter was posted a few months ago. Plus you seem more like a sales man than trying to inform

santamonica

by santamonica

Where do you think he got the idea from?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

OK i dont dispute you claim that this filtration works and it does it job but so does a protein skimmer and a fuge.... plus there are other toxins that are bad to fish and coral and you claims that this can cut back water changes is false because the only solution to pollution is dilution and what about the trace elements you can get the same results and better growth of coral by doing water changes. Oh and if you say dosing those trace elements if you know to dose you need to test and test kits and chemicals to dose will cost more than doing a few water changes a month. dont get newbies in to bad habits from the start

santamonica

by santamonica

If you'll read it, it says "if the purpose of the WC is to reduce Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate, and/or nuisance algae", then you don't have to do the WC." This is true. Speaking of toxins, the biggest (ammonia) is not removed by skimmers. At all. And trace elements are in overabundance in every tank, at almost deadly levels, if you'll do your research. I'll be post some soon.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

So now that we all know this is the best thing in your life.....and the best thing you could ever put on your tank................what are you going to post. This is ALL you have posted on. Why? I dont get it. Why are you so anti skimmer. Whats your motivation....and dont say your scrubber works so well. Im just curious as to why you joined a website just to tell people how great your filter is. Last time I checked....the bad ammonia.....yeah its made into nitrates and nitrites by your lovely live rock and live sand. Yes this filter works, I have seen it work. But its not the best thing in the world. If it was.....why do the biggest aquariums in the world use skimmers...Seaworld uses skimmers and uses algae mats that they change out weekly. Yes im aware an algae mat is the same thing. BUT there primary filtration is there skimmers. If they will trust a pack of whales with a skimmer...im going to trust my skimmer with my little reef.

schigara

by schigara

I agree with Delta and Fishboy. Why so pushy?

Most people here are here to ask questions or to help others by answering their questions and maybe making suggestions.

Someone who tries to force an unsolicited idea on others and essentially say that your way is best and their way sucks, is not going to be received well at all.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

as what i understand this user has been banned from alot of reef sites because of his pushy nature i started a thred on rc that alot of ppl agree with this

schigara

by schigara

Delta, I just read thru the giant thread at RC this guy started. I totally understand now.

Wow!!!. This guy is narcissistic as hell.

Hey guys, read through this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=1, this guy gets ripped apart, up, down and sideways. The ats is still a good idea, as an addition, but not a total replacement of skimmers and refugiums.

santamonica

by santamonica

Results of the Week:

jtremblay on the MD site: "the last few strands of HA have disappeared from my 40's display, and the build-up of detritus is continuing to go down, despite there being no skimmer on this tank."

nitschke65 on the SWF site: "My biocube is currently being filtered by my custom [nano] turf scrubber in chamber two; there is also a ball of chaeto in the bottom af chamber two, and a bag of Chemi-pure Elite in chamber three. My protein skimmer stopped working two or three weeks ago. (My mushrooms and zoas have never looked better!) I also have some polyps, hammers, and galaxia. There's a few nassarius, and a few hermits, an emerald crab, and possibly a pepermint shrimp. There's a lawnmower blennie, two green chromis, a scarlet hawk, and a Potter's angel. I haven't cleaned my screen or done a water change in 2 weeks [bad!]. This mornings readings: Ammonia - 0 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 0

Skunkbudfour20 on RC: "Yes i built one, Yes i am running it, and YES my nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphates all dropped to almost 0 within the first 3 weeks, and yes algae growth in my display has come to a stop, and slowly recedes... I am still running my skimmer, even though it doesnt seem to be doing AS much, its still doing something for now."

Worley on the AS site: "As for lights, I have seen an improvement in the type of algae growing and in the overall amount of growth since changing bulbs to the lower 3500K colour temp. I've been getting more hair [on the screen], macro algaes, some interesting dark green very very long hair-like algae (6"+ long). The cyanobacteria [in the display] is nearly completely gone, along with less brown slime algae, both in the tank and on the screen. And best of all, still no water changes, nearly 5 months on, with good calcium, dKH and PH. I've easily saved the price of the equipment used to make the scrubber from not having used an entire bucket of salt, and everything in the tank looks more healthy than I've ever seen in a marine tank I've kept before, I'm loving it, and so is my girlfriend!"

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

49 posts • Page 2 of 5