Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

49 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

santamonica

by santamonica

Uh, maybe bringing the point to new aquarists, who have no idea what scrubbers are. I can see that you are truely out to help them, too.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

They arent as popular as skimmers because they are a pain in the @#$ to clean. lfs has one......has to clean it two or three times a week. with a skimmer you dont have all the shorline smell and mess. You dump your cup down the sink rinse and your done. I know it costs a lot more.....trust me. I run a refuge with culpera and dont have any problems. For new commers its a ideal way to start........but the constant cleaning becomes a problem to someone who just wants to set it and forget it.

santamonica

by santamonica

Well if a scrubber is designed properly (which the LFS one was not), then it will go a week between cleanings. The LFS one is too small.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

would you like me to take pictures.......its on outdoor screaning......its gigantic. probably 4 feet wide and 4foot high. They have it going into a rubbermaid container. and they use a few T5's on either side. its not the best set up.....but it obviously works. And ur a funny guy.....my lfs one is too small.....funny how you knew that and have never seen it. Problem is when your holding 100 or so fish....you couldnt build one big enough for that bio load. They have a refuge....a algae scrubber like the one your a raving about AND two protein skimmers. in this one system. Its pretty insane. Hes in the process of dividing the systems into three instead of one big one. less hassle. and hes prolly going to get rid of the scrubber.......his store smells like ass.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok well this foroum looks like a good place to put this in here...

nitrates have always stayed around 15 but i am not concerned they are around 20 maybe 25 at hte most. This is the first water test after i got my nem, anthias, pseudochromis and shrimp in. I havent been overfeeding, everyhting i put in has been eaten and i just got finsihed with a 5 gal water change about 2 days ago. Shold i just keep doing water changes and see how things go??

santamonica

by santamonica

"Problem is when your holding 100 or so fish....you couldnt build one big enough for that bio load."

Certainly they could; see the below pic.

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/MultiScreen.jpg

"AND two protein skimmers."

Skimmers don't remove Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate. None. Not even a little.

"his store smells like ass."

I guess so with that big thing. The one linked above fits in a 20g, and is sealed tight. It filters 1000g.

"Shold i just keep doing water changes and see how things go??

If you are happy with the tests, why change?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

hy are you so pushy with this idea. it is one thing to inform and show a new way of doing something old, but you are a little late this type of filter was posted a few months ago. Plus you seem more like a sales man than trying to inform

santamonica

by santamonica

Where do you think he got the idea from?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

OK i dont dispute you claim that this filtration works and it does it job but so does a protein skimmer and a fuge.... plus there are other toxins that are bad to fish and coral and you claims that this can cut back water changes is false because the only solution to pollution is dilution and what about the trace elements you can get the same results and better growth of coral by doing water changes. Oh and if you say dosing those trace elements if you know to dose you need to test and test kits and chemicals to dose will cost more than doing a few water changes a month. dont get newbies in to bad habits from the start

santamonica

by santamonica

If you'll read it, it says "if the purpose of the WC is to reduce Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate, and/or nuisance algae", then you don't have to do the WC." This is true. Speaking of toxins, the biggest (ammonia) is not removed by skimmers. At all. And trace elements are in overabundance in every tank, at almost deadly levels, if you'll do your research. I'll be post some soon.

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

49 posts • Page 2 of 5