polyps corals

28 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Do you have a water test kit? If not you should go out and buy one. Make sure that your water parameters are in good order.

Specific Gravity: 1.023-1.025
PH: 8.3
Phosphate:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0-20 (Goal is 0, but could drive yourself insane trying to get them there)
Ammonia:0
Calcium: 400-450
Magnesium: 1300-1600

If your having algae problems, it's probably the phosphate and nitrates. However, before you add more corals, make sure your water parameters are stable. If the tank is only 3 months old, it's probably still cycling. How often do you do water changes, what salt are you using and are you using RO water?

daddy018105

by daddy018105

hi, if theirs copper present in my tank how can i remove it, can a water changer removed it or is their a chemical solution that i have to put in my tank to removed it.

thanks for the help, i'm new to this hobby i hope you understand

daddy018105

by daddy018105

hi, how often should i do water change every two weeks? and how many water do i remove 20% of my tank?

thanks

newbie916

by newbie916

The amount of water changes depends. When I first started my tank, I was doing 10-20% water changes twice a week to get my water parameters right. Now, I do 20% water changes every other week. Some tanks could be done once a month. It depends on your livestock and bioload. Best bet is to check your water to make sure its right and adjust your water changes according to your tank. I would probably do water changes every week for the first two to three months to be safe. Make sure you don't do more than 50% water changes because you need some of the beneficial bacteria in the tank.

What's your set up. What kind of lighting, amount of Live Rock, Live Sand, animals, water parameters, tank size, and water flow. Everythings pretty important for you to figure out what's killing your polyps.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

daddy01 where you from? and if you or if some one else put copper in your tank with rock you might as well throw out all the rock and tank cuz it sits in the rock and leaches out and it sometimes gets into the silicone in the seams and leaches out too

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

1. AS A RULE I DO AND RECOMMEND 10-20% REGARDLESS OF TANK SIZE EVERY WEEK.
2. ALSO WASHING CORALS IS GOOD BUT I DON'T WORRY. I BELIEVE FRESH WATER DIPPING STRESSES THE CORAL.
3. ALSO COPPER IS VERY HARD TO REMOVE. THERE IS A REAL GOOD ABSORBENCY FOR COPPER CALLED CUPRISORB BY SEACHEM. ITS REUSABLE TO.
4. GET A TEST KIT AND TEST FOR AMMONIA NITRITE NITRATE AND PH. ALSO ONE FOR COPPER WHICH I DOUBT YOU HAVE.
5. NITRATE IS THE MAIN ON TO KEEP AN EYE ON TRY TO KEEP IT AS LOW AS. BELOW 20PPM IS GOOD, THIS IS ACHIEVABLE BY WEEKLY WATER CHANGES.
6. DON'T HOT MIX YOUR WATER - THIS MEANS LET IT SIT FOR A DAY OR SO OR IT BURNS EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT HAS NOT DISSOLVED PROPERLY.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

AS FOR THE OTHER WATER PARAMETERS - DON'T BOTHER WITH THEM YET AS YOU WONT NEED TO WORRY AT A LEARNERS STAGE IN THE HOBBY. DEFIANTLY LATER BUT NOT YET.

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

lol not trying to be a smart arsh but everyone keeps saying the same thing kinda funny. ok by what you are saying this so called alge looks like brown mud and starts at the sides and works it way in till the coral is dead. fisrt of stop buying stonys with that new of a tank. and second it isent algy it is a bacterea infection. do so good water changes and git alot more water flow and that should take care of your tank try putting in some leather corals. good luck

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

all good info from everyone.....the only thing no one has mentioned is that the tank is only 3 months old.....................sorry to say..but theres no way that tank is established ...............if you can wait for a few months you will have much better luck, you haven't done anything wrong per say, it just takes a long time to get a tank stable and some species especially corals are very suseptible to any changes {or swings} in your water parameters

just takes time bud .......believe me .....i destroyed my tank the first go round, by rushing things

SnowBoss

daddy018105

by daddy018105

i'm from philippines, i'll check it, i did the water change already and i bought one coral to examine it
thanks guys.

polyps corals

28 posts • Page 2 of 3