tank decided

29 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Agreed,That is sad. Around here you can get an apartment for 1200-1500 a month......my dads mortgage is 750 a month. But I live with my mom and our mortgage is 3200 a month. Which is ridiculous. Boss, I envy you buying with cash. I wish I could do that. Im trying to get outta debt now. I got excited when I jumped into Saltwater and bought everything on credit..needless to say now I owe a little over a grand. GAY. But working retail.......I have seen almost everyone veer away from credit cards. With the financial situation we are in.........cash is what we have to have. Sounds like a solid set up boss. You have an RO unit.......right? :) Tank that big with that much water flow/fall. You will have a TON of oxygen in your water, and a TON of evaporation. But it will be very healthy. Sounds great! Try the scwd......I love it. You probably would too.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i plan on haveing a large RO/DI set up in the tank room . . . .i was really suprised actually ............i asked devon how much he has to top off each week on his his 300 and he said 3-4 gallons - - - - -i was like "aweek?" i'm topping off 1/2gallon everymorning ona 20 gallon tank - - - i guess it's because the uni-quariums are basicallt asealed system when the tops are on - - - -but with me drilling and running down stairs to a largefuge and possably acouple smaller tanks i'msure i'll be evaporating more than that....i'llprobably put an auto topoff switch in the return from the fuge

the returns on this tank are nuts already, but i may put a relay switch on two smaller pumps and make a modified scwd.........returning on under sand jets type thing in the live rock

and remember I'm 40 years old....at 19 i was trying to figure out how to get 10 bucks for gas so i could go out that night.......don't beat your self up so bad all the tmebud, you sound a lot more with it than most people under 25 I know - - it'll happen in time man

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

cant wait to see your tank/house build:)

have you decided on a (monster) pump yet ? ideas on plumbing ?are your going to have the plumbing behind the drywall ?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://www.poolpumpandfiltersuperstore. ... l=104&Tp=2

I would get something like that! It pulls very little power compared to what it can do. With a 50 foot head your looking at 3600 gph. WHAAAATT!!!!!! You could do away completly with your powerheads put two scwds and four returns.......you would have INSANE flow. And awesome waves. Your overflows would have to be able to take it though......because what goes up, must come down. Plus these things are made for saltwater pools. I dont know if you guys have them up here.....but down in florida, a saltwater pool is 10x easier to clean than anything else!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

this design is a room divider right at the entry of the house, 3foot by 8 foot floor to ceiling . . .a big giant column.........when you open the front door there will be a 4-5 foot entry way, you will have to walk around either side of the column into the living room - -the tank will face into the living room and the entry side will have 2 or three hidin door panels that will open completly to expose the back of the tank

all the plumbing will be accessable from the back of the tank in a "closet" looking set of doors - - -i plan on being able to access the complete back of the tank, and top of course - - -everything will be from the back, plumbing straight through the floor down into a tank room in the basement, all salt mixing, 55 gallon fuge, filtration, pumps, skimmer everything will be set up in this room and nothing but lines, lighting electrics and tank will be in the column

oh yeah over the tank in the living room will be a recessed box into the column for a flat screen and suround sound set up......or a picture if i run out of money which is more likely, lol

my foundation guy is already telling people he's building a shelter for a fish tank instead of a house...............lol non fish people just don't get it do they ????

Boss

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you know boss you gotta let me know how you talked your wif into this, going from a 20long to a 200 galon monster.......i am sure i will have to use this tatic one day....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thats sick man. So you have the supports and all that fun stuff? I would like to know how you talked the wife into this as well....Im impressed. My girlfriend is already asking me if I would go insane when we move intogether and buy a huge fish tank and take up half the house and spend all our extra money. haha. Of course not sweetheart!...........:) What skimmer are you going to go with? What kinda fuge are you going to do? xenia?algae scrubber?mangrove?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i didn't really have to talk her into it...........she started me in this hobby so it's her fault, lol ...........she loves the 20long and knows the 200 will be beautiful as well one day - - ive told ya'll before ...she is the greatest woman on earth...hahaha

supports will consist of 6x6 beams under the floor joists running to the basement floor by 4 four inch concrete filled posts {loly columns} onto 2 more 6x6 beams on the concrete floor to spread the approximate weight of 2700 lbs out evenly ..........the stand structure itself will be 6x6 pressure treated as well married through the floor and joists with allthread bolt matierial...all other corners will be bolted through with epoxy coated stainless 3/4 inch bolts........so basically this stand will be almost 14 feet tall to the bottom of the tank ...lol

i like the ASM G-2 ,3 or 4 - - but the guy i bought the tank from has a 2 euro reef skimmers one new that i might try to nab at a discount

i've never had a fuge-----so I'll be asking alot of questions about that when the time comes .........

i think i will build some base structures out of concrete and cycle them in fresh water in the tank at first

i'm thinking this will be a good 6-8 month set up program, i know i will be taking lots of time between steps...i blew my 20 up on the first go round because i got impatient - - - -the way i see it , mistakes on this tank should cost 10 times as much as they did in the 20 ......lol

thanks for all the intrest people...it makes it all the more fun ....my wife can only be excited for so long about things.......lol

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

damn man. She needs to have a talk with my girlfriend. haha. Sounds like its going to be a pretty nice set up. A buddy of mine is setting up 5 coral fragging tanks in his garage. He is going to run 2 250 watt metal halides on each. 2500 watts of metal halides over his tanks. Droooooooooooool. They are 6 foot by 5 foot tanks and 16 inches deep. All acrylic. Hes starting a coral farm in his garage. Im super jealous. But with my lfs selling floating polyps for 25 cents.....cant blame him for setting up such a big farm. Boss are you going to fully light your whole tank?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

jesus ...2500 wats of mh...he's gonna have to put grease fittings on his electric meter, lol

i am planing on full lighting with t-5HO's and a couple PC - -i am trying to figure out how to run a single MH pendant on a track that would be powered and make a ful down and back cycle in an 8 period of time......but that remains to be seen

the tank calls for 3 - 24inch fixtures.........and 24 inch fixtures aren't priced to bad so i could probably do some pretty cool stuff with lights and timers

tank decided

29 posts • Page 2 of 3