Enough Support?

25 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

how come everyone else is geting bigger tanks besides me??? lol

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I was thinking about getting heavy duty wood screws........My whole tank is held together with nails...So I was thinking about adding some screws to hold it all together that much better. Good idea or no? When I picked up the tank today.......I realized. The LFS i go to has a 125 held up by nothing more than 3/4 inch plywood. I shit you not.....its sturdy and has been moved 4 times. I asked him if I could look at the build.....and thats all its held together with.....no braces.....no 2x4's....nothing. Plus his filter....a 20 gallon long with a protein skimmer in it...That was it. And this tank is GORGEOUS. no baffles.......no sponge...no filter sock.......It was crazy!

With the economy the way it is.........everyone is selling there tanks.......because when push comes to shove.....our families are more imporant than nemo.....That being said......if you have the cash.....take advantage of the misfortune of our economy. It sucks that someone has to sell there tank for cheap to feed the family.......but if thats what it takes.......than thats what you have to do. Thats what happened to the old LFS owner.....he sold the store because business was bad.......new guy comes in.........kicks a## and hes making 3 times more what the other guy was. Search around.......you will find something. I bought a 90 off of a sailor (navy) and he was getting deployed......he couldnt keep it.......Sold the tank stand protein skimmer and wet dry for 150. I quickly realized it was WAY to long for the spot I had......turned around and sold it for 400. Search for some deals......you will find them!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

definatley get some screws - - -get good stainless steel deck screws and rub them on a bar of soap before you screw tham in, that will keep them from splitting the wood as much if at all ....

structural building is a wierd bird..........a full contact 3/4 inch box is crazy strong - - - the weakest part of any type of structure is the mechanical conections, screws, nails, glue, whatever............so a full box is stronger than a 2x4 box with slats nailed to it

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hmmmm......thats insane. Well I kinda have both.....I have the 2x4's together inside...then a box of 3/4inch (high quality) plywood holding everything else together. Everything is wood glued....but I was thinking the screws would help for sure. If I would have known that.......I wouldnt have wasted my time with the 2x4's. haha. Thanks Boss!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Okay. I have another idea for this tank. Tell me what you guys think. It has a 250 watt metal halide on it....plenty for the tank and anything I want to hold. I could upgrade it to a 400 very easily. But my problem is......its going to shadow the top corners. So what do you think about me buying to Coralife mini aqualights and hanging them next to the metal halide pendent? First pic is the tank with the metal halide......second pic is what I would be hanging next to it. It would be a little different spectrum, it would rid the shadowing, and it would be killer with dawn and dusk. Any better ideas? Something I could get for under 100 and do pretty much the same thing?
f0acf-ES53120_99.jpg

Enough Support?

25 posts • Page 3 of 3