First Marine Tank

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Thanks, now I want to spend crap loads of money on neat gadgets, thanks. My lfs has a crap selection compared to this site.

lookin around that site I noticed this...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18381

It looks pretty decent. I'd also throw on powerheads just to increase the water flow, as this wont reach everything. Has anyone bought this product?? Or know someone wih it??

I'm still curious to how much flow(gph) a reef tank should have. I've looked at the equipment used by some people but cant really find a common amount of flow used.

Also, they ship to Canada, but dont list the prices of shipping, kinda dumb. Any Canadians order from them??

Thanks again Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Go big! The bigger the better. I have a 29 gallon reef. I have a mag 5 as a return now... and a koralia 2. Sounds like a lot ehh??? its not. About 900 gph total. Just the right amount. Because BOTH are a very distorted and broad flow it makes everything come in a wave effect. I built a sump that would filter a 125 if I hooked it up to one...good movement a filter sock and a good skimmer is all you REALLY need. As far as other filters......you can get them, but they wont do a whole lot for you. if you have those three things. I will take filter socks to my grave....HOLY @#$@ these things are honest to God better at filtering than ANYTHING for saltwater. :)

Pasfur

by Pasfur

I have used both the skilter and the Prism. Both of these units are very inadequate skimmers with a lot of flaws. You will be sorry you wasted your money, especially when you can find quality skimmers for a similar price.

When shopping for a skimmer you need to think about "contact time". Meaning how much contact does the water have with the bubbles inside the skimmer chamber. The skilter has less than 3 inches of contact. The prism is slightly better, but still inadequate.

If you are looking to save money, for your tank size I would suggest one of the SeaClone models. http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198276/product.web
I used this unit for several years on a 55 gallon fish only and again on my 37 gallon reef.

On the subject of filtration, you do not want any other source of filtration. The use of mechanical filter pads, bioballs, wet dry filters, etc will only make it more difficult to keep Nitrates and Phosphates low. By using a 3'' - 4'' aragonite sand bed, live rock, and a protein skimmer, you can achieve a balanced system. The skimmer will remove the majority of the organic waste directly from your aquarium, without breaking the waste down into NItrate. The live rock and "DSB" (deep sand bed) will break down any other organic waste, as you are familiar, Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate, and then process the remaining Nitrate into Nitrogen Gas, which leaves the system naturally. The end result is zero Nitrate.

This same theory in marine fishkeeping should be used for any aquarium containing live rock, be it a fish only, invert, or reef. I am in the process of setting up a 10' x 14'' x 24'' display in the dining room of my new condo. It will utilize these same principles.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i will agree with Pasfur..............i had very good luck with my prizm skimmer on a 20 long ........but i have heard other people complain about them, i would say it's a crap shoot with it, but i liked it...................live rock and sand is an awsome filtration system and very natural.................be careful, though because the key word here is "ESTABLISHED" my 20 long is a year old and im pretty much running with no filter now { i have a wet dry on it but its only has a thin filter floss pad for chunks of gunk, then a carbon basket and then a rubble {live rock} basket, so nothing inorganic or chemical in there..it brings my 20 to almost a 28 gallon system and the skimmer on it is junk but my paramiters are fine so im not worried about right now - -i have algae crabs, snails and lots of pods that keep things clean

BUT

6months ago....theres no way this tank would have survived like this {with out a mechanical filter}, to much changing, new fish added etc etc etc .....would upset a very delecate balance

so run a filter for now to help with the swings.............but yes your system will become self supportive in time

Boss

Pasfur

by Pasfur

To expand...

A lot of people make the mistake of using to much "base rock" and thinking their aquarium is ready to support life. If you want to use base rock to save money, and only use say 25% live rock, then you will have to wait for the base rock to seed, along with the sand bed.

However, if like myself, you are willing to only use 10-25% base rock and stock the aquarium with cured live rock from your pet shop or a fellow reefer, then your system will be ready to process waste within just a few short days. The key here is that the live rock needs to be fully CURED. If the rock just arrived at your LFS, then the rock will need time to cure as waste dies off after the long journey from ocean to LFS.

If you are going to go with a true reef, then i would avoid using a biological filter at all, even in the early stages. Instead, be patient and only stock your aquarium when it is ready. For FOWLR aquariums, if your system allows for a biofilter, it won't hurt to use the biofilter during the live rock break in period. Just follow up with a large water change to bring Nitrate below 10ppm and remove the biofilter completely after 3 or 4 months.

burgerking

by burgerking

I'm not sure if my lfs's rock is fully cured or not, there is some poeces that have been there for long enough to cure though. So Im gonna be a pain in the ass and ask for those ones(all the way in the bottom if the really tall tank). The skilter has been out of the question for a while, and the reason I've posted questions about the prizm and nano skimmers is because they're all my lfs has to offer. It's kinda gay.

A lot of info to take in on 3 posts, thanks, I'll probably be posting more tomorrow, bed time for me.

First Marine Tank

26 posts • Page 3 of 3