First Marine Tank

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Yah apparently 4 tanks and mbuna constantly breeding wasnt enough of a challenge (the challenge is getting them to stop breeding!!)

Do you think I could have a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish instead? Or really any clownfish? They look so fun!!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

a pair of clowns would be very happy in a 28 .........ive got 2 in a 20 long with a large anemone hermit crab and 7-8 algae hermits and some snails, my pods are falling of the rocks and everyone is happy...................i have true percula clowns which i think are very nice but they aren't very compatable with many nems, so if your thinking about a nem, look into saddles, ocelaris or tomatoe clowns

and yes they are a lot of fun, big personalities

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

this is my baby "MO" he's about 11/2 in now
a8539-MO 150.jpg

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

I always thought clowns got bigger, well some do but i thought they all got to be 5+ inches. I'd love to have anemones but I dont want to spend the money to have it die right away!! lol. And what does it mean by the anemone's temprement is aggressive??

schigara

by schigara

Boss, that is one very pretty Perc.

BK, clowns do get big but it takes a few years. Boss's true Percula is probably just 10-14 months old but will reach 4.5-5.5 inches as an adult but will depend upon whether or not it stays as a male or becomes female.

Keeping an anenome requires a very stable tank with proper flow and light. They are a fickle animal and can and will detach and roam around a tank searching for it's happy spot and will sting anything and everything on it's journey. This is what is meant as aggressive.

burgerking

by burgerking

I plan on starting with my 28, then hopefully in Spring upgrade to a 55 or something like that. So I'll be good for the size of the clowns.

So are anenomes the kind of thing you add to a tank before inhabitants?? Or is it easier to add them later??

I can't figure out what kind of filter or skimmer I should go with. Does anybody have a brand they could recomend?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

28 to 55 ....................you could get a fluval FX-5 and it will move from one to the other when you upgrade

to be honest with ya, it'll be spring before your first tank is mature, so upgrading then will almost be a waste.................can you start with a 55???

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Unfortunately no. I have to wait until the end of the semester (which is in January), assuming I have a 75% average or better i'm allowed to get another tank. My parents feel i spend too much time on my fish tanks so they're stalling me gatting another one, lol.

If all goes well with the 28g, i'd proably use it as a grow out or reef tank with no fish. Havent decided yet.

Ps. I put a tank (any size) on my christmas list, It'll be for some of the fish currently in my 28g.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Alright, I decided to open this up again instead of starting a whole new thing for a few more questions.

My lfs now has two different protein skimmers I'm looking into; the Red Sea Prizm($150) for 100g tanks, and this little one built for tanks up to 29g($60). I dont really know which one to get. I'll also need powerheads/wavemakers to create water flow for the corals, what GPH should I go for with the powerheads?

Since I'm looking into corals for the future, I want to have everything ready for them once Im ready.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if you have the money, go here save on the skimmer and order a couple power heads and other goodies if you like as well........the more you can get the less in shipping ..........good luck

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=7928

First Marine Tank

26 posts • Page 2 of 3