Dissapointed with SeaWorld

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Okay so two weeks back I went to Sea World.....had a great time. But I asked about the reef exhibit....and the guy told me it was in the same exhibit as the polar bears...I think. ANY ways I get to the reef (exhibit) and was kinda surprised. Corals included....zooanthids......xenia....and...ohh thats it. It was a standard 55 gallon set up.....with low lighting low flow....a purple and yellow tang.......which most (reefers) know that those two fish should not be in the same tank. It had very little live rock and the corals all together maybe cost 50 bucks.....I was PISSED. Your trying to tell me.......they can house wales......but not a decent reef set up. WTH Sea World..WTH!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Sea World Australia is such a dive to. Shitty tank setup just like you explained. Well it was last time i was there couple years ago.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sounds like you guys need to volenteer to set up a reef for em, not that it would happen , but can you imagine the fun you could have if somebody said, heres 5 120 gallon tanks, make us a reef exhibit................woohooo

lol

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hell I would be happy if they let me set up a single 150. haha. It would be a lot better than what they have now. And all they would have to do is let some of the water from shamu spill into the reef system.Jesus! Can you imagine the amount of saltwater they go through.....How difficult would it be to make a water change once or twice a month. And metal halides...they could get an awesome set up for under a grand. If they paid me a grand I would come and set up everything! as long as it took! They could set up a small room.....draw in thousands of extra visitors a year and only spend 30-50 grand..because of the room. GEEZE. I would gladly help them. They would get there money back in a year. Disney has an awesome reef setup and they have several life corals in there BIG tank. WHAT THE CRAP SEA WORLD. Disney isnt even a aquatic them park....and they have bigger tanks than Sea World does. (minus the wales)

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'm thinking about having a whale in my backyard. Would that be possible? Can I keep him under 50/50 PC lights?
I already dug a hole.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

YES!!!! If I win the lottery......which is very unlikely, I would like to build a little house in the country and make one living room wall an aquarium. Make a room behind it for massive filtration and holding tanks for growing corals and letting them reproduce. If I win.......I will give everyone on this site a free coral! Ill pay shipping and everything. But in all honesty.....Sea World dissapoints me. :( Think of the money they bring in.....and the reef is one of the most important and mysterious parts of the ocean...What is Sea World without a decent reef tank.....geeze. Im going to email them tonight and tell them I want to build them a tank. Anyone want to take a few days off from work and help me set up a tank at sea world? Even if they put a new tank where the exhisting tank is now....holy crap it would look soo much better. Hell Im going to see if they will fly a few of us there....(ill just drive) and fix this!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

This is what I just sent to Sea World. :) Its nothing really important if you dont want to read it. :)

I recently went to Sea World in Orlando and was very dissapointed with the reef tank. I love Sea World and pretty much grew up going there, I just had a suggestion to make it an even more magical experience. We have been discussing this topic on www.ratemyfishtank.com and we all agree that Sea World should have a better coral reef set up. The Oceans coral reefs are the most important part or the eco system. When I went to the exhibit I saw three corals in a dimly lit 55 gallon tank and was very dissapointed. I know that Sea World can do better than this, and I know this because I have a smaller reef tank in my room with 23 corals and intense lighting. I feel that we should be educating the public about the reefs and why they are important to our way of life and our earth. By the way.....a couple of the guys on the forum and myself would LOVE to come help set one up if you guys ever choose to do so, it would be a dream come true! Thanks for the consideration!
-Michael Gallagher

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

DickHeaders..............i don't mean to burst yer bubble, but whales need at least a 500 gallon tank and 5050 PC lights will only piss them off.....................

what you need is some of them beer can lights like you see around the canopies of campers with screw in christmas lights in em

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I've got the christmas lights, but I don't drink beer. Coke cans would be ok?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

GO FISHBOY!!!

I'll be in Tampa for 10 days, after Thanksgiving, for a family vacation. If you except the level of my experience, I'll definitely help you.

19 posts • Page 1 of 2