Turf Algae Filter

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

doenuttz

Turf Algae Filter

by doenuttz

Have you guys or gals tried Turf algae filter. ITS A D I Y !!!! Here the link for more info , http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic89570-4-1.aspx . I made one since my protein skimmer is broken and while my other skimmer is being delivered http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumP ... _1200.html . I will be running the turf algae filter and my skimmer together. Its has only been a day since i had installed turf filter . I don't have algae growth yet..What do you guys think???

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

that turf alge filter sounds too god to be true and a pritien skimmer takes out alot more than you think i would still run one

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Thats SICK! I will deffinatly be trying that out on my new set up in a few months!!

doenuttz

by doenuttz

Your right Delta!!! there's only one way to find out. I am trying it and I will let you guys know what happens. I built my screen out of plexi glass and drilled a lot of holes in it .Its 3 bucks @ home depot on the window section and add another 5 bucks or so for elbows and fittings..

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

Cool if it does a good job I might re work my new sump to include one

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hows this working out? Has anyone tried it?

doenuttz

by doenuttz

it has been 3 days since my install. I still don't have algae growth.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hmmmmm none at all? are you running and chemicals?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

from what i read you need lights pretty close. Where or how far away do you have the lights.

doenuttz

by doenuttz

Puff, I do have the light really close to the screen. Fishboy, I am not running any chemicals. Okay , I just check the turf screen closely. I noticed its beginning to have brown stuff or algae on some of the hundreds holes I drilled. The screen is 9 by 7 inches located in my sump.I am going to begin to test my water when my skimmer arrives tomorrow . I am still going to run the skimmer and turf algae together..Wouldn't that be amazing if this is successful??

Turf Algae Filter

22 posts • Page 1 of 3