Turf Algae Filter

22 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

did you use plexi glass? maybe it needs more room to breathe.......the more oxygen it has the better its going to work. SO maybe (IF you used plexi glass) its not getting enough breathing room. I would think if you could use any fabric or even a tank divider. hmmmmm. I would think it would have grown a LOT quicker than that......

doenuttz

by doenuttz

Part of reason why some people get algae growth in a couple days is due to there turf screen being purchased from inland aquatic. The screen is delivered with mature algae . I am starting from scartch . It might take me a couple of weeks. Here's my screen
d72e9-turf screen 10.27.JPG

doenuttz

by doenuttz

Day 8 pics ( it has been modified since then)
Santa Monica ( the turf builder, lol ) told me to wait another week before I wipe it.
1st screen
2nd current set up
3rd current set up w/ skimmer
85aa4-screen shot only 11.4.JPG
d2e11-11.4 current set up.JPG
e3dc8-11.4 shot w skimmer.JPG

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I'm trying this real soon. Just as soon as the minister of finance opens the bank account back up (thats the wife for the slower group)
God hope BAMA helps your economy

doenuttz

by doenuttz

SWEET!!! that means there going to be 2 turf scrubber tester on this site w/ one being more experience ( PUFF) .. I will pose my water quality when or if I get my result by next week..

doenuttz

by doenuttz

Day pic 14 pics and fish pics

Okay, Like everybody here. I too was in denial regarding this TURF scrubber. Well, I have gotten success . I haven't change my water and my skimmer is running 24/7.

OCT. 31 test for nitrate and phosphate via API
Nitrate = dark orange 100
phosphate = mid green 2.0

NOV. 9 test for nitrate and phosphate
Nitrate = yellow 20
phosphate = light green 1.0

The turf has been scrub off 2 days ago ( YUK) and today its beginning to fill up again. I feed heavily . 2 piece of mussel meat and about 15 to 20 pellets of Marine A in the morning . And when I get home from work, another 15 to 20 pellets ( possibly more) of Marine A. I have noticed that my fishes are more active ( perhaps of my new pump). And there colors are brighter.Also, my water seems clearer!!!
d0abf-11.09 turf.JPG
fb15f-puffy.JPG
067b6-empe 11.9.JPG

fihsboy

by fihsboy

It looks awesome........but I have to ask..........is it a pain in the ass to clean?

doenuttz

by doenuttz

As far as cleaning goes, Its easy. I just bring the screen to the sink and wipe away. There's a down fall , it can be noisy depending on the screen set up. I am thinking of redoing the screen due to the noise..

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i here this is the hot setup now,this is starting to surface all over the web,keep us posted , btw nice water flow..hehe

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

this would be very time consuming but I'm wondering it i could take ceramics {ehiiem mech} and basically sew them together with nylon fishing line - - -stacked so you could look through them not end to end like a necklace - - - you would end up with something that looks like one of those "old people" beaded seat covers things, lol

anyway this would give some crazy air movment and massive amounts of surface area for the algae to grow on - - and it would still be strong enough to "hose" off in the sink

maybe even build a couple smaller pieces so they could be cycled {clean one one week the other side the next}

sorry , just thinking outloud

Boss

Turf Algae Filter

22 posts • Page 2 of 3