need quick advice- TANK HEALTH AT RISK

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Blue,

Schigara is giving you the most solid thorough advise I've seen to date, we all have opinions and prctices of our own that work and don't work, not to put anyone off but at this stage of "newness" i would strongly suggest listening to one or maybe two people ...........it's very easy to get confused from information overload {been there done that, lol} after you have established your system, then it's time to pick everyones brains for information on specific fish etc etc

great presentation Schigara, I'm taking notes, lol

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha yeah the part where if i accidentally get ammonia that has something in it or if i use too much it could kill my poor rock.. which has some cool lookng plant/ spider things so i think ill jus hang back and stuff

schigara

by schigara

Thanks Boss. I appreciate the sentiment

Blue,

That's cool. I never wanted you to switch over to another method It just seemed like you were a bit anxious because of the heading of the post and just wanted to show you all the options available to you and ultimately advised you to stay with your current course of action with the shrimp.

I would like to suggest a book for your library or any other salt junkie out there. It is, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner". It is an excellent read that covers all the basic and many advanced ideas about saltwater fish and reef tanks.

I got this book about a year ago and still find it to be great after having 4 years of tank experience and many hundreds of hours of reading online. It is not too much for someone new and is not too little for someone with experience.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Hey there Blueshoes.
Sorry for not being around, been underground mining for coal, well actually fixing machinery underground. had a miner stuck near the coal seam and needed it back online, took 3 days. 16hours, 4 hour break and then back in. Not happy.
Anyways Schigara is right. Prawn in tank and make water go rotten. Ammonia will increase, then come down, then Nitrite will increase then go down, once that has happened nitrate should gradually increase. Like i say because you wont have anything in there straight away nitrate should only increase minimally. Dont 100% agree on adding any chemicals, the prawn (shrimp) should be enough. My tank cycled in 1 mth with just that. And you say there seems to be life on the rock, you want that to live, better in the long run. Your on the right track. Mate if you want instant reply dont hesitate to private message me.
Cheers

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Do you suppose you could just pee in your tank? Thats pretty much pure ammonia......that would certainly start a cycle.....Just curious....

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha yeah i can certainly do that, the shrimp isnt doing anything for me... well i know its only been 5 days but still.... so how much pee?? hahaha

need quick advice- TANK HEALTH AT RISK

26 posts • Page 3 of 3