need quick advice- TANK HEALTH AT RISK

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

do you have an ammonia test kit.?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

no i dont my lfs doesnt carry any name brand kits so i havent bought one yet

schigara

by schigara

pick up an API kit from Petco or Petsmart.

You can not add any fish or inverts until you get at least an ammonia and nitrite test kit to be able to know when the cycle has finished.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

oh petsmart sells them? i wouldnt have guessed that so will the ammonia kill everything on the rocks?

btw for some reason im only seeing like half of what you say, like im going back through the conversation and theres things that i didnt even see before

schigara

by schigara

You are on one of the right tracks by adding a shrimp. Wait a week and check ammonia and then wait another week and check again for ammonia and also nitrites. If you then show only ammonia, wait another week and check for nitrites again.

If you still see no nitrites, check ammonia again and if you still have ammonia but no nitrites, wait some more. On the other hand, if you had ammonia and now have none and still not nitirites, check for nitrates. If you now have no ammonia, nitrites and show some nitrates, then the cycle is over.

You added live rock so you may not ever see a full hard cycle.

schigara

by schigara

Sorry. I keep adding to my posts.

As far as ammonia killing everything on your live rock......not really. Decomposing shrimp or fish food won't spike fast enough. If you dumped in too much pure liquid ammonia, yes....possibly.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

okay hum... is pure ammonia still an option? and this may seem like a stupid question but does the ammonia lvls jus go down over time as well as the nitrites?

schigara

by schigara

Pure ammonia is still an option but most people shun the idea for people who have never had a tank before because, using it is a shortcut and doesn't help to teach patience like the shrimp, flake or pellet food method for introducing ammonia to start the cycle.

In any case, you need to go and get 3 kits from Petco.

1.Ammonia
2. Nitrite
3. Nitrate

You could pull the shrimp and add .5 (one half or 1/2) teaspoon of pure ammonia for your 70 gallon tank and then check an hour or so later to see what the ammonia level in the water is with the test kit. You want 2.5 - 5 ppm ammonia level.

I'd say stick with the shrimp and just wait for it to decompose for a week and check then with the test kit.

If you want to go with liquid ammonia, you MUST find a clear, 100% pure ammonia that states on the label it contains zero surfactants. This means, no dyes or fragrances, etc. Shake the bottle.....there should be no bubbles or foam at the top of the bottle. It can be difficult sometimes to find truly pure ammonia, so be very careful.
Last edited by schigara on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

schigara

by schigara

By the way, there is no hurry or rush. The bacteria and living creatures in and on your live rock will be just fine for as a long as a few weeks without any food or ammonia.

Remember, patience is the best thing to have in this hobby.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ehhh ill jus wait it out haha i really am in no hurry ill jus watch my lil dead shimp float around down there haha to give you an idea of my patience i started researching this back in february or so, only got the tank in july the filter in august and here i am in september jus now got water :) what can i say, thanks for your help schig btw

need quick advice- TANK HEALTH AT RISK

26 posts • Page 2 of 3