Hey we can add Pictures to posts now! YAY! Come see mine.

38 posts • Page 3 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

This thread makes me wanna go out and put a canon rebel on the credit card. Stupid samsung.

That's a really close...closeup of your angelfish. -.-

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

It's to illustrate the Evil.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

blue fresh water can get pricy too i am 2k into my 55 gal planted and that is with alot i mean alot of DIY stuff tooo

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Why thank you Gumbi, I take all the credit :-) But, sorry guy, he's as straight as they come. And the ladies just adore him! He is a very handsome guy! When he was a teen every-time the phone rang it would be a girl for him. My daughter and I started answering the phone "Justin's answering service" LOL

Doom, Those are some beautiful angels ! Wow!!
I have one that is blind in one eye. I think it was born that way, it has never had any kind of injury. Silly thing swims around all day on its side! I always feel terrible when I scare her because she didn't see me. Its a Koi angel. I have a little Zebra one too. I bought them at the same time and they were the same size. My zebra is still only about maybe 2" and my Koi is almost 5"! Any idea why they grew so different? Or why the one is blind in one eye?
This pic is the Koi. See the pink on her/his cheek? The blind side does not have that and that eye is a red color.
The top pic is her good side, the bottom one is her blind side. See the difference?
a8187-PICT0117.JPG
ab987-PICT0112.JPG

jweb1369

by jweb1369

My CO2 setup...

The Diffuser is the plastic bottle top section. I have water pumped in from the top and CO2 from the side. The CO2 bubbles rise and then the jet of water hits them and knocks them back down. That reaction continues until the CO2 comes out of the bottom of the bottle top in very fine bubbles. Here's some better pics of it in action.
73e21-setup.jpg
eecfd-diffuser.jpg

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Nice CO2 system.

As far as the angels go, it sounds like that little koi just lost the genetic lottery... and I'm surprised the others haven't killed it. Angelfish aren't identical on each side (obviously), so I'm not too surprised to see a blush on only one half, but the blindness... who knows? Poor little thing... if he can find food and defend himself he must be doing ok, but that is definitely weird. The sideways-swimming thing would be of more concern to me, though.

Growth differences, in my experience, are both genetics and dominance. I had four smaller angelfish that were hardly growing at all when my big breeding pair were in the same tank, and as soon as I removed said pair, all four started growing like weeds (different types of angelfish). They're nipping and vying for dominance right now. Whoever becomes the dominant one in the tank usually is bigger, but I don't know if this is because they first were bigger or first were more dominant. I don't know much about fishy hormones.

Like people, different fish will grow at different rates, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the bigger angelfish in your tank is the dominant one. The more space you give them all, the bigger they'll get. My large male has been the same size for a while, even though I've been hoping he'd fatten out like some of the REALLY big angelfish you see. I guess he would need a bigger tank than he has, but I can't afford it, heh. He'll have to be satisfied with his condo, 'cause I can't buy him a big mansion.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

My blind guy is the biggest fish in the tank! No one picks on him at all. The only time he gets in any trouble is when he gets too close to my male Bolivian Ram, then my ram just shoo's him away. He swims sideways because he will be looking for food and swims so his good eye is to the bottom. I will feed him blood worms and he will miss a couple times then catch it. The fish is a PIG! I have noticed that the small one eats very slowly. It will eat one worm at a time, whereas the big one just gobbles them all up! My small one is the king of guppy fry control tho LOL.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hah, well, I wouldn't worry, then. He's obviously adapted well, and sounds like he's the dominant one. You've just got a weird little fishy there, I guess. I'd be proud - must be a really strong fish! He's pretty, too.

gumbii

by gumbii

i hate the attach a file or upload image crap now... after i enter my reply, i usually just hit tab and enter to post... now i have to get the mouse and point click... so inconvenient...

dizzcat

by dizzcat

LOL Gumbi! How lazy can a person be? hahaha

Hey we can add Pictures to posts now! YAY! Come see mine.

38 posts • Page 3 of 4