Harsh ratings?

62 posts • Page 6 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Are we harsh on each others ratings?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 18

miami754

by miami754

The first part in the acei's scientific name is pseudotropheus, just like the kenyi (although I believe the Kenyi's scientific name is no longer considered correct. I seem to remember that it is now Maylandia lombardoi, although there is some discussion in the community).

Cathy, kenyi are one of the most aggressive mbunas out there. In your size tank and with your inhabitants, I would not recommend keeping them.

miami754

by miami754

Cathy, I would go with a SINGLE demasoni. I know they have a terrible reputation, but keeping a single one would be fine as most of their aggression is shown to their own species or ones that look like them. They have the same general look as a juvenile or female Kenyis, but are less aggressive towards your other species and only reach a max size of 2.5-3" (whereas the kenyi will max out in the 5-5.5" range). Again, one keep one if you do it. Mixing more than one in your size tank will result in deaths.

gumbii

by gumbii

my friend's demasoni is killing all of his other mbuna's, peacocks and tropheus in his 125g tank... i would not recomend keeping a single demasoni with any other fish but in a species tank... his demasoni is 3 or 4 years old now, and he's on a rampage...

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Thanks you guys for the advice. I will just stick with my plain colors :-)

miami754

by miami754

There are individuals that can behave nuts, but these are the outliers and what causes them to get their bad reputations. Outlying stories like this are the exception - not the rule.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yea dizz, I would not get a kenyi. I am suprised they are even getting along with my labs. They actually don't show them much attention at all. I am waiting though until the male kenyi turns yellow. Then I might see the true aggression because both species will be near same color. So far the female is the meanest in the tank because she is the largest at about 3" or so.

Yasher, yea I believe the slate and granite or quartz is going to be quite expensive. I looked in lowes and home depot for some and they only really have counter top ones and they are in the $100's of dollar range. So I stuck with the paving tiles.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

as a general rule tropheus don't usually get along with tropheus. That website I told ya has a diagram of all the major cichlid family's and their compatability.

Cichlidrecipe.com

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... i have three tanks with tropheus right now... each has two colonies of 25+ tropheus... i haven't had any loses due to aggression at all...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Iono. I heard they don't mix well.

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... it's all about distributing thier aggressiveness... if there are three or four, only one will survive... it doesn't matter if it's a pair or trio in the mix... but if you have 6 or more... well when i start a tropheus colony i start off with 6... or depending on the price and availability... so if the petshop has them for 14 bucks each and has 12... i ask them... how much for all of them... if they lower the price to 10-12each i'll take them all...

check out www.duboisi.com they have a bunch of good articles and helpfull people... i used to whore that place up, but it's boring over hither...

Harsh ratings?

62 posts • Page 6 of 7