This might be a weird topic?

41 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

i have a 125 gallon. and it is a 1200phg

gumbii

by gumbii

it is large enough for a 1x over... but you need water movement... you need to clear out the dead spots you got... you might have good flow, but bad water movement... hence the shit on the sand... i have a 100g with 600gph pump for the wet/dry... but i have two 800+gph koralias on each side of the tank for water movement...

see what i'm getting at... you could have 300gph return pump and the tank will do good if you have 3000gph water current/movement in the tank...!

littlej2455

by littlej2455

oh ok yeah i see what your talking about. So I just need to get those eductors and hopefully that will produce more water movement and break up the poop and hopefully put it in the filter.

gumbii

by gumbii

well they will help... but i would still get some PH's to help you out moar...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

"You have to be patient and research everything" is your advice littlej on your homepage.

gumbii has given you much advice, all you need to do now is research. I am sure if gumbii and others like this member can make a saltwater tank work, I am sure there is a solution to your problem.

I am not into saltwater tanks (maybe someday I will be), but first do some research as gumbii suggested and take it from there.

I would think all the fish waste has something to do with your filtration system. I have a freshwater tank, and if there were a fish waste problem (I never had one but if I did:) I'd turn first to the filtration system.

hope this helps

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also, it appears from your picture of the tank that there is very little water movement. Water movement will brng the fish waste up to the filtration system, it strirs the waste.

Like the other members said, a combination of a good filtration system and more water movement will do the trick.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

yes i do realize that i said that I need to research everything, and I am doing my research right now. If i have a question on what i find, then I come back here. You guys helped answered my question, and thank you for doing that.

gumbii

by gumbii

my LFS sells enductors for 20 bucks... damn that's baller... even he said it was expensive... but i'm still going to get one soon...

littlej2455

by littlej2455

yeah i am going to mine tomorrow to go and check them out.

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

Hello again... I'm new here, so feel free to ignore me... :-)
However, I have walked in your shoes over the past 18 months...it's incredible what sorry advice you can receive from the wrong LFS.
You need power heads in your tank. It sounds like you have the correct return pump for the capacity of your overflows (2 times 600gph = 1200 gph) ...but that is simply not enough flow for saltwater... see my other post regarding live rock.
Remember you are trying to create a piece of the ocean in a glass box... the ocean has waves, and tides and constant motion. Fish, coral and everything else in the oceans need that movement. Your tank does too. Corals require lots of flow and fish need it for proper waste removal and oxygenation.
For your tank, look at 3-5 Maxi-Jet or Koralia powerheads... that will give you around 4000gph movement. And if you have a clean up crew in your sandbed, you'll never have to scoop fish poop again...
It's all about the circle of life... :-)
LL

This might be a weird topic?

41 posts • Page 2 of 5