just got back and got a question about refugiums

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

by singapore

just got back from missouri......and sorry if i offend anyone from there...but it is the most boring place iver ever been... went out there to see my cousing graduate from MP school for the army. it made me want to enlist...but im gonna do some more thinking on that subject...

anyways...my question is this.

i have a 55gal set up here im my basement. its running just fine, but nitrates are a problem. i want to buy a 30 and use it as a refugium... but i dont want to run it underneath, i want to set it up wight next to my 55. i want to full the 30 with macroalgaes, and maybe some xenia. since it will be set up fight next to my 55, i want to put fish in there too . i was thinking seahorses. if i keep seahorses in there, will it still function as a refugium, removing nitrates? i plan on it being FULL of plants. also, any tips forgetting the water from tnak to tank? i dont have an overflow or anything. everything i uses is HOB, and i dont want to deal with a sump. should i just buy two of the same pwerheads and run one from the 55 to the 30, and the other one from the 30 to the 55? this whole plumbing and water movement and level thing has still got me confused...

schigara

by schigara

What part of Missouri? I lived in Jeff City and Ks City for a few years. Jeff City was cool because of all the places to ride 3-4 wheelers and the snow was cool but that's about it.

singapore

by singapore

i was by fort leonardwood. about 2 hours west of st louis. i imagine there are alot of places to ride atv's and such there, lots of undeveloped country.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i wish NY had more places to ride atv's..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquari ... 041400.htm

That would be the easiest. A refugium is supposed to be next to a tank so nothing gets killed in the pumps. you could use a power head to pump water to the refugium and an overflow to get it back to the other tank........if its higher. you could just use a U tube. Two powerheads could be a disaster, one may run more water than another leading to a flood. Even if its just 1gph difference your talking one more gallon in one hour........which is overflowing in one tank and one tank low on water. Siphon one to the other and use one powerhead, that would be your best bet.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

that plumbing job sounds like a disaster bud .. get a overflow. also if your refugium is full of plants it will yellow your water .. and from what i have read ( schigara probably has mor experince on this ) if the plants run out of nutrients there will be mass die off..

dick_headers

by dick_headers

That's why HOB refugiums are so great. All you need is a powerhead( usually comes with it ). The water will flow back to the tank by gravity, very slowly.

singapore

by singapore

do u think even if it is receiving water from a FOWLR tank loaded with fish there still wouldnt be enough nutrients?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

there may be but i dont know for sure..

singapore

by singapore

so okay..im still not sure wat u guys mean here... lets sat theoretically, the 55 is a bit lower than the 30...i put a powerhead in the 55 then........what?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2