just got back and got a question about refugiums

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

then you get a super absorbent mop ..LoL .. put a over flowbox on your main tank and a water pump in the refugium

schigara

by schigara

Ok, you want a 30 sitting next to the 55 as a refugium. You need one pump inside the 30 and an overflow/gravity drain in the 55. A hang on overflow is pricey and kinda difficult in power outage situations where you need a vacuum pump to restart the overflow.

You need to drill or have drilled the back glass of the 55. It's not that hard and I have done it on many tanks that are even tempered. This can be done by draining the water down about 6 inches below surface and putting a hole at least 2 inches below the top of the glass. Insert a 1.5inch bulkhead and use a 90degree elbow with a conical screen but don't glue the elbow. You need to be able to turn the elbow to adjust the water level in the 55.

The 30g tank will have to be lower than the 55g for the purpose of the gravity drain. Use a maxijet 400 or 600 in the 30 with 1/2in tubing to pump water from the 30 back to the 55.

Nutrients for the refugium will be a constant variable which you will have to monitor.

Since adding my 29g Xenia scrubber, my nitrates have fallen from 10 to 0 and I have had to increase feeding on a week to week basis depending on how the Xenia looks. When the nitrates stay at 0, I have to gauge how much to feed based on the growth of the Xenia.

I have no Idea about the Seahorses since I have now experience with them.

singapore

by singapore

i really wasnt looking to drill the tank. . .it just seems like too much effort. i was just sorta looking for a simple way to do this whole thing. something cheap....

this whole thing seems really complicated...

how bout thiss....

say the tanks were are at the same height? does that make it easier?

schigara

by schigara

Same height makes it a lot harder. Synchronizing two pumps is near impossible. Think about it. You're pumping out of a tank of one size and in to another and vice versa. You'd have to have electric mircro switches for each pump.

Drilling a tank is very simple for someone who has done it a few times. Anyone local in the club?

Drilling is simple and cheap, if you're not afraid to drill or have someone with experience drill.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Drilling=best option.......next best option just get and overflow with a U-tube make the other tank low enough where you can plumb the overflow to the refuge and go from there......Easiest way is to treat it like a sump. I have one set up as a sump and it does the job perfectly...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Pimp . . . . . i have 90 acres of family land to ride on and the farm is surounded by three of the largest fruit orchards in NY state - - - come on out man!!!!!!oh yeah bring the goods too...hehehehe

Boss

lightsluvr

by lightsluvr

I'll add my 2 cents worth here, since we breed seahorses...

the above posts are good advice about the mechanics of using a refugium/overflow, etc.

Forget about seahorses in the refugium. First, seahorses need much lower temps than your typical FOWLR tank. I run a chiller on our seahorses to keep them between 74 and 76 degrees. They demand very, very clean water - much more demanding than most fish. A refugium is not a good place for them, IMHO.

Good luck with your project.

LL

just got back and got a question about refugiums

17 posts • Page 2 of 2