Why did my fish tank explode in the middle of the night?

24 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

adamnorrad79

by adamnorrad79

Drunk sorry. Glass is made of sand.

craigeddie1

by craigeddie1

I would guess it was a small undetected crack that finally gave out as they can hold on for a while.A small object caught under the tank and the stands surface may also be the culprit.Gravel in the tank displaces the weight of the water and any pressure is insignificant enough not to smash the tank.Dont be put off as its probably a problem occuring either in the factory,courier or Petsmart.Good you got a new one though,although i also would have claimed for new flooring etc etc,but thats me.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I haven't heard the possibility that the stand's top, where the tank sits, isn't flat.

If the surface the tank is sitting on isn't flat it will put weird stresses on it.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh. The guy before me said it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

The tank was constructed wrong. Period.

The seals could not bear the weight of the water. Like craifeddie stated, you can complain about the floor being ruined or something else...how about if you had a kid and the kid was playing around the tank and the glass shattered and plucked out the kids' eye? Do what you think is best, but it sounds like a defected product.

Water in a 29 gallon is about 300 pounds pure weight. This is the culprit. 300 pounds plus gravel etc, bearing against defected tank seals equals: DOOM!

Anytime you buy a new tank, it is best to observe all the seals for a few weeks. If you notice any leakage, get a refund and complain the best you can. If I were you, I'd first complain to the manufacturer, then to the BBB if need be.

Your fish weren't too happy about it I am sure. Hope things are better now.

saphi

by saphi

I know this is an old post but my new 29g from petsmart just broke, water everywhere did save the fish in time but now, 16 fish in a 10g. What brand was your tank?
Oh on mine the actual glass broke. Just don't want it to happen again. I don't know if its a bad brand or something wrong with the way petsmart stores the tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: Why did my fish tank explode in the middle of the night?

by natalie265

There is no reason for a tank to randomly break. Temperature, change in air pressure, and too much gravel are not good explanations. If you set up your tank on a flat, level surface ie. a standard aquarium stand, then the tank was probably faulty to begin with. I haven't heard of this being a particular problem with petsmart. It might just be a coincidence. But hopefully they, or the manufacturer will refund your money.

dsipp79

by dsipp79

you make me feel very lucky that a couple years ago when dad decided it was a good idea to try and slide my tank and stand over about a foot and the whole stand collapsed, somehow we slowed the fall of the tank and it was ok but it could have been disastrous, and it was a 37g so it wasn't light to slow the fall of.... hurt my back but not the tank and this story really makes me feel lucky..

rachelx3

by rachelx3

i would take that thing back! im always scared thatwill happen to me D:

Why did my fish tank explode in the middle of the night?

24 posts • Page 2 of 3