Is there a safe way to paint decor in my tank?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've got some artificial driftwood that is a horrendous shade of orange. It is shaped and sized perfectly though and I could get creative with my painting. Is there any safe way to apply paint to this sort of thing?

Z

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I just got a job in the paint department at a local hardware store...unfortunately I know nothing about paint yet. I wish I could help. lol i suck.

gumbii

by gumbii

nope... i wouldn't trust any kind of paint in any type of tank...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ok, how about some other creative option. People do put silicone in their tank as well as adhesives and spray foam used to create those beautiful realistic looking rock wall backgrounds. All kinds of stuff...so what could I use to change the color of these ugly driftwood pieces. If you could see the ugly....you'd be motivated.

Bug, yes, you suck. LOL

Zambize

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

there has to be something.......all the artificial decor you buy at the petstore is painted

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Is there such a thing as non-toxic waterproof acrylic? Acrylic paints are the only thing I think might work...

Is this orange masterpiece you're considering for your 37 gal or 29? Or other? I like the piece you have in your 37, why fix it if it aint broke. =P

PS. nice updated tank photo.

gumbii

by gumbii

the people on the reef forum were talking about using that fusion paint for plastics... just sand it really REALLY good, use the plastic paint primer, then paint...

they tend to do this but they also say that it starts flaking off after some time... hmm...

i would try air brushing because it's so light, then coating it in a thin layer of fiberglass resign... i've seen them coat normal driftwood in resign to keep it from leaking tannin's...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I would probably use non-toxic, waterproof, acrylic paint as Tmercier stated. Paint an item and let dry for a couple of days then wash, wash, and wash and throw it in a small tank with 1 fish to see how it responds before adding it to the bigger tank.

I got a ceramic hand-painted log at Wal-mart that was over in the lawn and garden area and rinsed it off good before adding it to the tank, and have had no problems with the fish. It has been in there for about 3 weeks.

zambize

by zambize

T-83,

No, I'm not changing the driftwood in the 37 gallon, that one is really nice. This orange ugly is in a small 6.6 gallon for my Betta. And thanks for the comment on my new pic. :) It's already got 100 or so votes in 2 days and is 18th! Ah, I feel like a proud parent.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, very helpful. I think I'll keep these ideas in mind and check out the kid's section at a local arts and crafts store. Their paints may be a good place to start looking.

Zambize
Last edited by zambize on Sat May 31, 2008 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I seen several non-toxic acrylic paint at hobbytownusa's online website that would probably work.

26 posts • Page 1 of 3