Is there a safe way to paint decor in my tank?

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Although people say don't use the silicon II, I used it for my pvc after realizing it wasnt silicon I. I have had it in my tank for a couple months now and all seems well, my fish are healthy. I still would not advise it though, if you can get GE silicon I. It's the same stuff you but in an LFS that's branded "Aquarium Silicon" for 10 frickin dollars.

Speaking of projects and aqua-scaping i've scored a lot of nice shale for my tank from a jobsite that snowboss and I are working at. I'm going to build a nice rock wall in the back of my tank and fit the pvc nicely into it. I have to rinse it off still and i'm worried about stressing my fish with such a big change.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

T83 what is that floating plant you have in your tank i like it....

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Tanks for comments and a1, if you mean the tank in my profile its broad-leaf watersprite. The 30 gallon I linked to above currently has no floating plants, but has onion plants (like yours) that stretch to the top along with corkscrew val on the right side.

Z: I acutally purchased my first dremel just to do this project. It's VERY effective..got the new lithium ion 10.something volt. I guess that part doesn't really matter I'm sure all dremels work great. I think boss has the right idea if you're gonna do some mad sculpting, give yourself a bigger canvas. Or you could actually build layer upon layer of silicon (letting each layer cure in certain areas to achieve desired effect) and coating the top with your substrate.

I actually sawed through the bottom 1/4" creating an open bottom which was pretty time consuming. lol I figured this way they would always have soft, dark substrate under them, and I wouldn't have to worry about coating the bottom inside of the pipe.

I did mine in a hurry and from cut to last grain of sand it probably took 5+ hours...and mine didn't really come out that satisfactory, so be ready to spend a little time. :)

gumbii

by gumbii

another thing you could use is cement... there alot of different mixures and tricks you could do to make some amazing backrounds and stuff... do a google search for diy aquarium rock, or diy cement background... it's insane some guys are freaken artist...

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Yeah, I've seen some really cool backgrounds with cement. However they raise your Ph through the roof. Cement should only really be used with new tanks that have no fish yet. I read one article not too long ago about this guy who made a background with cement and had to do like 70% water change every day for a couple weeks and Ph buffer to get it down.

Sounds like a real pain in the ass to me but you can make some crazy looking stuff with cement.

gumbii

by gumbii

they don't raise the PH it depends how you cycle it all and what kinds of cement you use...

i heard of boiling it to speed up the PH cycle thing...

Is there a safe way to paint decor in my tank?

26 posts • Page 3 of 3