"You know you're fishy when..."

24 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

zambize

by zambize

...You plan the day's errands so that your last stop is the fish store thereby allowing you to take your new fish straight home.

Zambize

gumbii

by gumbii

hahahahsakdjf;sjdlf...

i worked at a carshow this sunday... it was a street show in between two of my favorite petshops... so when everything calmed down, i walked to one but the other was a bit far to walk... so i planned it so we run out of onions and tomatoes so we had to go to the market... the LFS is next to the grocery store... man sunday was a great day... lol...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Aight Zambize, you gonna git in trouble again, whats that again $2,000 spent already this month or last on fish, supplies, etc.?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Fishy --

I believe the $2000 was for 2 months. When I break it down to the cost per hour of entertainment and enjoyment I think it would be considered cheap! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Z

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Zambize, if you're calculating cost per hour for entertainment, you have to subtract out hours of hair pulling stress as well, lol.

That's $250 a week!!! your fish must be loving you... but serioulsy, how are you spending so much?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I spent a lot because I started with nothing and have no experience. I'm sure you remember that I just started so I didn't have a thing. Also, I wound up starting a 28 gallon community tank, a Hex 5 for a Betta, a 6.6 gallon for a Betta, and a 3 gallon for an African Dwarf Frog.

There was lots of trial and error until I found equipment and supplies that were right for me and the fish I wanted. And things you don't necessarily plan for such as my preference for densely planted tanks. That many plants at one time is costly. Food -- I had no food and needed several varieties. Supplies of filter pads, charcoal, an extra heater, cleaning supplies, lots of substrate because I like it thick, decor, thermometers, testing kits, various water treatments, timer for the lights, extension cords, nets, 5 gallon buckets and a couple smaller ones, several books and magazines to educate myself, and on and on!

Oh, and then my dog broke my glass 28 gallon so I got a new 37 gallon and bought a 20 gallon Q tank -- and all that brought on expenses. So see...I think I was actually quite frugal!

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wow......For-$240-I-got-a-100-gallon-tank,-4-other-tanks,-2-beautiful-cabanets,-a-magnun-canister-filter,-about-20-powerheads-and-HOB-filters,-and-much-much-much-more.......It-was-a-whole-truck-load-of-stuff-a-guys-wife-said-he-had-to-get-rid-of.......There-was-lots-of-salt-water-stuff-too,-test-kits-etc....

That-and-some-great-lights-and-other-equipment-found-in-aquarium-store-garbages-and-I've-kept-my-costs-to-what-I-can-afford-right-now.

I-think-you-know-you;re-fishy-when-the-room-you-live-in-has-tanks-on-3-of-the-4-walls-and-a-strange-blue-light-is-visable-from-blocks-away-from-my-3rd-story-window-at-night......PK

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I got lucky on mine as well. I searched craigslist for the Buffalo, NY area and got real lucky. They wanted $600 to $800 for a 125 gallon aquarium so I posted an ad for item wanted and said 125 gallon aquarium complete setup with stand, lids, lights, filters, gravel, etc. for $200 and someone emailed me and said they had one for $225 and I jumped on it. I had an item that I was selling for $300 already listed with a buyer and basically traded the item and for them to pick up the aquarium and deliver to me so I came out with $75 and bought an AquaClear for $55 so actually I made a $25 profit and gained a complete setup.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

btw... can't wait to go to the LFS to give them my $25 on some more fish.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

.................when you stop at the tank to see if everything is good and you feed the fish ...then go kiss the wife...........................BTW new grooms, I don't suggest doing this for very long...lol ...for some reason more time at the tank means less time between the sheets.................oh why is life so hard to balnce..LMAO

Boss

24 posts • Page 1 of 3