Shark question?

36 posts • Page 4 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

i have research everything, but there was nothing on eye sight... it is too late to contact the people i have been talking to before.

schigara

by schigara

We are lucky enough to be able to successfully keep certain fish for long periods of time in a very small box due to the trial and error and research of others much more knowledgeable than ourselves.

This gives us a rough guideline of how to keep the same livestock in our own systems.

Now, some fish are labeled as easy, some intermediate and some as difficult or expert only. These labels are not just willy nilly but have reason. Some retailers give their own loose requirements as a suggestion and some are looser than others because they just want to make a buck.

Most professional advice comes with a caveat, does the hobbyist have the experience required to keep the animal.

Usually one acquires experience with a difficult animal in a larger than needed environment and over years of experience learns the animals' habits and intonations and then, if desired, could possibly keep the same animal in a sub-par environment.

Littlej,

It seems like you are new to anything salt or fish and are attempting to keep one of the most difficult to keep specimens right off the bat and in the smallest of environments.

Granted, a 125g tank is a big tank but only for small tropical salt fish. Maybe a tang or two or an Angel but comeon man...........a shark?? You need to be realistic and get some basic experience first. Do you even have a basic grasp of water chemistry?

As far as eye sight. it's common knowledge that certain sharks have very poor eyesight. Don't know if this is true for the particular shark you have.

Why did you want to keep a shark? Did you want some cool bragging right to tell your friends in school about or what?
Last edited by schigara on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i got it scrap the real shark get like 12 bala sharks then you would be even cooler, you could all your friends you have a school of sharks and not just one, why not throw a monkey in the mix while you are at it? huh

littlej2455

by littlej2455

alright well you guys arent really even answering my question. Yes I have been keeping aquariums for years now... This however is my first experience with this type of animal, so yes a question or two will pop up. I do know the basic of water chemistry, and how everything works, that is why I made sure that I knew most of the information on water stability so I would not just jump into something and have no idea what I am doing. I have always wanted a shark, it has always just been a dream of mine. And yes I have already had 3 bala sharks, and those sharks and nothing compared to this beautiful marbled cat shark.

Well i can see that non of you guys are willing to help, so thank you for trying.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

im telling you man your gonna get alost the same from every other fish fourm out there. it is just general most fish keepers disagree with keeping sharks unless you have a massive tank..

snowboss

by snowboss

And Please.................do not go away mad, If i have learned anything in all my years on this little blue marble, it's how to take critisism................sometomes its unwarented sometimes it is totally warented as i can be an ass....lol but more than anything i look at whats said and weigh it carefully, if it applies to me then i take the advise to heart...................but i say all this to make the point that i don't always see the air of my ways and hearing it from ohers usually will bring everything back into alighnment.[just ask my wife, lmao]...............I wish you well with your tank bud, Snowboss

Shark question?

36 posts • Page 4 of 4