Whoa! I have my first fry. I was unexpectedly expecting.

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've been fascinated by a type of small livebearer called Endler's Livebearer (believed to be a type of guppy). Beautiful little things, but they are hard to find. Even online they are available off and on, and females are notoriously never for sale. I went into a local lfs today and they had a handful, including females. I couldn't help myself. I bought some. I *know* there were 3 males and 3 females in the bag when I left the store but when I got home and put them in a small container for acclimation I saw two tiny babies and assumed they had to have been in the bag. It was kind of thrilling so I was happy.

Later, I checked the tank, and there were three. I know there were only 2 in the container being acclimated. I still thought I must have missed the third one. I don't know about these things. Later I check again and there were 5, and after we had dinner tonight there were 8....now there are 15. I thought I had time to figure this out before I would get fry!!!!

It's cool....but.....since they breed like rabbits I really need a separate tank for the females so I can control the rate of breeding. And that means another tank, which I vaguely mentioned as my partner was deciding the babies were cute. Uh oh...she's not happy about another tank! But really, is a 10 gallon really a TANK? I think not.

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

In your future I see ice, I see thin ice. Brrrrrrrrrr. :)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

heres an option ....go get a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon and bring them both home and ask your partner to help you chose for the cute lil babies...................lol then take the 55 back and you have a 20 instead of a 10..............................hehehehehe

Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

rofl...Boss, you forget women pay closer attention to detail than us. =P At least that's what I'm reminded everytime I forget something...like say...our second 4th anniversary----whatever the hell that was. O.o

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The-females-can-probably-store-sperm-in-their-bodies-for-many-subsequent-broods,-so-removing-the-males-won't-stop-the-females-from-getting-pregnant.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

Z!!! Congratulations!!!! LOL and hope you aren't in too much hot water over the new tank! LOL reminds me that i may need yet another 55 gal tank as my discus seem to be breeding............... not really into having babies but if i have them i might as well take care of them, in the mean time i might have to start looking for another apt. as my partner may kill me even at having the thought of another tank!!! oh and btw coming soon new higher quality photos of my fish, just spent a little bit of spoil myself birthday cash on a new digital camera, canon eos rebel xti 400d, with five lenses a hard case, two tripods, a soft case backpack, 3 diff filters, and all sorts of other goodies!!!!! Whoops was a large check to cash but eh whatever, christian gave me 300.00 towards what ever i wanted to get for my big 30 july second so i spent it early along with half of my paycheck. damn hobbies, am gonna have to win the lotto if i keep it up with these damned expensive tastes of mine......

well hoping all is well on the other side of the country and that you don't get into too much trouble with the other half!!
Brandon

ps. this means for his birthday/our 4th anniversary am gonna have to go all out and buy him a kayak or a boat of some sort..... can't have him feeling left out of the spoiling.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I like the idea of pointing out that a 55 gallon would be an option, then in the spirit of a partnership, I'll be understanding and compromise. Doesn't that sound good?

Peter - these guys are just like guppies and the female do store sperm, but supposedly for only 3 months so I was thinking of separating them for 3 months and then allowing a fish sex to happen. That would also let my partner get used to the idea of many fry in the house. She seems to add them to my "fish count", but really, fry don't count!

She's really hard to fool.... And with me being a psychotherapist, she's always on guard for any "manipulative psychobabble". LOL

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh-gee.....I'm-sure-you'll-manage-just-fine......I'm-back-to-being-single-and-it's-what-I-need-right-now......Left-the-most-beautiful-woman-I've-ever-been-with,-32-and-looks-like-16,-but-looks-and-great-sex-was-all-she-had-to-offer.......Rest-of-the-package-was-a-nightmare-of-denial,-lies,-and-terrible-parenting-I-don't-care-to-get-stuck-with-for-the-rest-of-my-life.......

Sounds-like-you-have-someone-you-can-work-with......Can't-be-any-worse-than-what-I-went-through-with-this-last-woman.....Peace

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Zambize, I forget who told me that about my overstocked tank with all the endlers that I was just going to have another overstocked tank. I started out with 2 female and 2 male guppies and the same with my mickey mouse platies and dalmation mollies and every month having fries, that my tanks are all overstocked, and I can't see flushing them down the drain, and too many to seperate males from females, etc. so they keep it up. Even doing a water change, or snail draining and cleaning, they are still chasing like crazy, even had a mama shooting out fry while during a water change in a bucket. I think the lfs is tired and overstocked of the platies. The guppies aren't that many or the mollies except the last batch of 43, but the platies are 50 to 60 fry and about 50 females or more having them, and I hate the kill them. I have 3 aquariums now, maybe I can rotate from each tank to the pet store for someone else to take over the endless cycle.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Get-somthing-preditory-and-you-won't-have-to-do-the-thinning.

I-had-a-Tilapia-release-her-fry-into-my-100-gallon-tank-with-the-3-foot-long-gars-and-she-kept-most-of-them-safely-hearded-around-for-about-a-week......The-fry-were-so-small-that-I-don't-think-the-gars-even-saw-them........Eventually-they-just-dissapeared.....Cycle-of-life!.....I-kept-most-of-the-first-batch-she-had-and-they're-about-to-be-taken-back-to-the-lake,-but-I-had-no-room-for-the-next-75-to-100-so-I-just-let-nature-take-it's-course.

19 posts • Page 1 of 2