Shark question?

36 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

zambize

by zambize

Get a really nice picture and have it nicely framed.

Zambize

somalia123

by somalia123

get your shark when it gets to big trade it for a smaller one

littlej2455

by littlej2455

yeah i think thats what i am going to do. Thanks for the help!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

LittleJ - Just curious, and prone to philosophical conversations... you stated that you're in this for the sharks best interests too. What about this is in the shark's best interest?

Z

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Delta,

No the nem is still on the glass with a dirt circle around it, lol ................I actually think it's doing better there as he's not getting the crap beat out of him bounceing around on the crabs shell off the live rock and such ........so i clean around him and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with him .....i wish i could get him onto a rock or something ....but the the crab would probably pick him back up....................PIMP is going to be here in 2-3 weeks so I'll have him take a look at it and get some input there............

Boss

raiseing a shark to adulthood and then getting another one isn't really in the best interest of the shark ....thats like dateing yound women until they get old and then dumping them for another young one.....umm that would be in your best interest not theirs.....sorry to be so short with ya, i just think a correct set up and keep the shark for his/her full life is the only way to go if your going to invest in such a wonderful creature..........Boss

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I like that Boss.....it's also like being with a man until he gets a beer gut and trading him in for six-pack abs!

I have 3 Black Neon Tetras that I don't like, I think they are boring, and they just won't die! My tank is small enough that they do take up room I could use for a fish I'd rather have. But, I'm keeping the little buggers. They didn't plan or ask to be a party to any of this, but they are living creatures 100% dependent on me. And personally, they may be "just" fish, but that last thought sticks with me.

I'm new to this, but I'm struck by how often people rave about how their fish recognize them, communicate with them, provide them with entertainment and company, and on and on. Then one day, they bag 'em up and off to the lfs, or worse. I dunno.....I already know that I prefer fish to people and this isn't helping!

Zambize

littlej2455

by littlej2455

When i said for the sharks best interest I meant, if i realize that the tank is not large enough and does not have enough room, then i will stop and get rid of the shark and not continue on getting another one. Because obviously if one shark is not going to work, then obviously the second shark is not. That is what I meant by that. So if the first one gets to big very fast and I realize that it is not worth even trying to trade them out, then I will not do it.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ok, littlej, so far so good. But you *already* realize that the tank will not be large enough and will not have room, therefore with your promising logic, you would stop now and not get the shark. Right?

I seem to favor cichlids, but they are just a little big for my diminutive tank, by only an inch or two, but I still don't get them because it is already clear that they won't work in the long-term. I don't want to snatch them out of their long-time committed home to be plunked down in some awful, over-crowded tank with too little plants to be bought by god knows who (and that's even in good lfs'). That trauma is enough to kill many fish. It may be just me, but I feel that when I purchase a live animal that it's implied that I have the responsibility to provide the best care possible. I'm not able to kid myself into believing that, for me, returning a fish to an lfs would be an acceptable means of satisfying my wants first.

I've only returned a fish once. One of my very first fish I was given bad advice and was sold a single male Swordtail. He was insane being alone and terrorized every other fish, relentlessly. He displayed distinct signs of stress too. I tried different methods to help him adjust, but nothing worked. After choosing the best lfs around here, and after a long discussion with them, and an inspection of their Swordtail tank, I gave him to them. They put him in a tank of females and he was in bliss. My tank's been calm ever since and it was clearly in his best interest. I've since learned my responsibility to better research and not rely one salesperson's advice. If I hadn't, I'd already have a few 5" Cichlids in my little tank.... One day!

Blah, blah, blah.... LOL

Zambize

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

Boss,

You try that icecube on the glass trick that could get him off and the attach him to a small rock and put him in a hole where the crab could not get him

Pony out!

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Whose to say that I dont get a larger tank when he out grows this one?

Shark question?

36 posts • Page 2 of 4