Shark question?

36 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

Shark question?

by littlej2455

thanks for the help.
Last edited by littlej2455 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

from what i have read unless you have a massive tank....1000gallon plus a shark is never a good idea

schigara

by schigara

I don't agree with taking any shark or ray as a pet but as sharks go, the Marbled Cat is probably the most suitable as far as size. They only reach 24" in length.

I guess he could survive in a tank just 2 and half times his length and would have a hard time turning around.

If one must have a shark (can't imagine the desire) the Marble at 2 feet long is a much better choice than a Bamboo at almost 4 feet long.

Is this your first SW tank?
What is your primary biological filtration?

snowboss

by snowboss

I support Schigara's feelings, sharks and rays are can be and are beautiful creatures.....but need specific and intense care and environments...........i wanted to do a ray tank a while back.....and found out that they get huge, and haveing a lot of skin area, are very prone to scratches and infection that leads to death in almost all cases..not to mention that they have a 60% mortality rate in shipping, with no guarentee,

I don't mean to discourage you in anyway...but some things are better left to professional aquariums and at best someone should have years of expierience before trying to keep such creatures

Tank size is also crucial.................a 500 gallon minimum for a catshark and or small class ray....................with little or no rock or structures to inhibit their movement, remember sharks have to move to breath and some rays as well.........good luck bud, sorry to be so stern but these are high maintinence fish your wanting,

Snowboss

littlej2455

by littlej2455

No this is not my first saltwater tank, this is actually going to be my third one. Yeah I see what you guys are saying. I think i am going to stay away from the rays, but the guy at the pet store has already gotten in my marble cat shark, and said that he is eating fine. I think what I will have to do, is just turn the shark in back into the pet store, when he out grows my tank. Does that sound alright?

snowboss

by snowboss

if you can handle the shark and he's a happy healthy specimin in your home ....than more power to ya ................you sound like you have a good husbandry mindset about you or you wouldn't ask questions you'd just go get a shark a fish bowl and a 12 pack and have at it......lol.............so if it works ....good, if it don't and you have the option of returning it thats good too............won't know until you try, right?

and who knows maybe you'll fall in love with the lil fella and build him a 1500 gallon tank down the road, lol

Boss

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i think you might really want to think about it a lot more... its like getting a puppy and then when he gets full grown you take him to the pound and get a new one, i just think you either spend a ton of money and time setting up a proper environment. in the 125gal tank he only has 6 feet swimming room and the 18 in deep how would you like to be trapped in 18 foot by 4 foot tank for you whole life and then get traded to the fish store where you go in a smaller tank and then sold to another owner with the same size tank or smaller than yours its just plain cruel and irresponsible. sorry but if this post pisses you off but its just my 2 cents.

snowboss

by snowboss

good points though.........didn't think of it that way

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

ehy boss you ever get that anomie off the glass

littlej2455

by littlej2455

very true... i do see where you are coming from. I have just always wanted to get a shark, and this whole main setup is mainly for him. So if i see that something is not working right, or if there is not enough room, then I will just give the shark back and just add in regular fish. I am in this for the sharks best interest too. It just has always been a dream of mine, to own one.

Shark question?

36 posts • Page 1 of 4