Seashells

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

albird

Seashells

by albird

Im well aware that genuine seashells are a no-no in a freshwater tank. Therefore I have been scouring the internet looking for aquarium safe artificial shells but to no avail. Does anyone know of a source for said items or possibly a simple way to treat real seashells to make them non toxic? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

ali

gumbii

by gumbii

why are they no-no's in freshwater... i have tons of shells in my freshwater tanks...

what kind of fish do you have...? all the shells will do is maybe raise the PH a bit, and gh/kh... the calcium level will also raise...

i had tons of shells in my lake tanganyika tank...

but i sometimes see at the petshops and stuff some plastic seashells... check the toy stores, ebay, or hobby stores in your area... they might have some decent plastic shells... the color might fade, but oh well...

gumbii

by gumbii

oh... and another replacements for seashells are escargo snails... is that how you spell it..???

some up-scale grocery stores sell escargo shells... you know... snail shells... those look really nice, and are great houses for shell dwellers and such...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

A few shells won't raise PH much in a large tank, but if you stuff about 5 or 6 large unboiled fresh from the ocean shells in your 10 gallon that would proably influence the PH a bit more drastically.
As with anything in aquaria no setup is exactly the same really so, I guess its just all in what sort of risk you wanna take. Much like cycling with fish.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I-had-a-huge-colony-of-Malaysian-trumpet-snails-and-I-put-some-shells-in-so-the-calcium-the-snails-used-up-for-their-shells-would-be-replaced.....I-have-a-5-inch-giant-clam-shell-I-found-in-a-dumpster-and-it-looks-beautiful-as-a-decoration......Are-you-sure-shells-would-make-the-water-go-alkaline,-or-would-the-pH-just-go-from-acid-to-neutural?.......I'm-not-a-chemist,-but-at-some-point-there-should-be-a-balance-I-think.....I-don't-know.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

You can get a whole sack of seashells from wal-mart, about 20 big shells for $9.00 and I have had them in my freshwater tank for sometime now and had no problems at all.

Mr_Fish

x

by Mr_Fish

n/a
Last edited by Mr_Fish on Mon May 26, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

As a matter of fact none of your business. I just got on and seen your smart remark. You spying on me? Go away and leave me alone and spy somewhere else.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

!!!?????

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Sorry was replying to that Fish above.

Seashells

15 posts • Page 1 of 2