Seashells

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

:O stalkers in the fish forum!?!?! Creepy.

leighann

by leighann

So, if i wanted to put some shells that I brought back from Jamaica in my tank, I should scrub them and boil them first?

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

That's what I would do.

mjlynch

Re: Seashells

by mjlynch

Ok, not to be technical, but salt water shells are not recommended in a freshwater tank -- or really any kind of shell. This has to do with chemistry. Shells not only change the ph but also water hardness. if you have been keeping shells in your aquarium for decades Asa some claim, then you are doing aware checks and correcting for the problems shells create. geneerlly, to correct hardness, you have to change a portion of the water weekly. If you don't, we'll your fish may be surviving but they are less than healthy and subject to disease.

Now I realize this is the age of the Internet and no one reads anything longer than 5 sentences, but ad the aquiirm bibles ie, Alexrod's Mini Atlas and Inness' Exotic aquarium fishes. After all, they are the experts -- and if you don' t know who they are, they are influential enough to have fish speck named after them.

Alasse

Re: Seashells

by Alasse

Shells are fine to use in freshwater tanks....

I have been using both saltwater/freshwater/terrestrial shell in tanks for many many years (30+). I do monthly water changes (fortnightly on planted tanks due to them being dosed) and have had no issues.

As for no shell being recommended to be in a freshwater tank, ya might wanna tell the apple snails and every other mollusk to make sure their shell is removed before they move in then lol
Oh and dont forget the shell dwelling fish, of which i keep, that they should really be homeless now cause shell are sposed to be bad

As long as you dont have shells absolutely filling a tank, and you do tank at least some maintenance (IE Water changes), which you SHOULD be doing anyway, shells or not, then using them will cause no issues

Seashells

15 posts • Page 2 of 2