Why are some people on this site so bitchy?

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

kayleigh

by kayleigh

Why is it people on this site are being so bitchy calling fish ugly or just slagging off others hard earned work which they have obviously come to this site to show off but instead people are just being ridiculed like people saying to others that they should just forget their hobby altogether? I know i myself have recently joined this site but come on people share the love a bit more! Surely if anything, thats what sites like this are for? For people who have similar interests (which hopefully are related to fish in some way) have come together to have comments about how nice their tanks, fish etc. are and to help with any problems others are having, which with the amount of knowledge that we all have combined shouldn't be too hard.
I know this is sounding a bit long winded, but for me personally the reason i come to this site was to be extending on my own knowledge rather than seeing people acting like their in a school playground!

javahava82

by javahava82

Thanks for letting us know of the issue. If there's a specific comment or user that's posting inappropriate comments, please let us know at information@ratemyfishtank.com. We'll try to fix the issue - we do want everyone to feel as welcome as possible, and to encourage people with the hobby! Also as a reminder to users, if other users post comments on your pictures, you can choose to remove them in your "My Profile" page (the right hand side of the page where you upload pictures). Hope that helps!

6ATREYU94352

by 6ATREYU94352

Im not bitchy and i love all fish ;p

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

I agree, if someone has a concern or an idea to make the other persons tank look nicer they should express themselves in a more miture way.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've only seen one negative comment made months ago about Oscars I think. The two individuals made up in a comedic exchange of posts. I think people here are basicly friendly. Some times I wish people would let me know how it's going with their tank if I've given my 2 cents worth, but all you can do is be who you want to be and don't have expectations, for they tend to lead to resentments. I've stated that I prefer real plants and natural cover over filter/pump pipes etc and I hope nobody was insulted by anything I have said about these and other things. I would sure like to know if that's the case.

celticwraith

by celticwraith

I've seen some sad looking tanks on this site. One of them was so dirty you couldn't see anything in it.
Most pictures of tanks and fish are really good, but there are a few that have to be a joke and if they are not they shouldn't expect positive comments. What positive comment can you give to someone that post a picture of a tank that you can't see in or is half full and dirty. Great tank, it would look better if you clean it, or add more water to it. I realize not everyone has been in the hobby for a long time and could use advice not criticism, but you have to admit there are tank pictures on here that are disgusting. Some times the best advice you can give someone is to find a different hobby.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I agree about some people who shouldn't have fish tanks at all due to poor care and such. My neighbor has a turtle in a filthy tank with no filter, airation, light, or anything for it to climb out of the filth and rest on. I've tried to give her extra items to give the turtle a nicer home but she declines. She acts as if she loves the turtle too! I've seen human parents providing similar environments/love to their children too. I had a housemate who locked her cat in the closet while she was away because she was afraid the cat would hurt her plants. WTF? Anyway, courtesy is golden on a site like this. I would hope that all caretakers of fish and other aquarium inhabitants would provide the best possible lives for what they have. Like kids, the fish should come first, not peoples feelings, though sometimes we have to be polite so as to not turn people off, and thus lose the chance to help in some fashion.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree if people do not take care of there fish tanks they need to be bitched at some times that is the only way people listen. being strait forword with people is the only way!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I think some people just dont know how to take criticism OR advice... these same people usually only ask questions to reaffirm their perceived knowledge, thereby becoming "bitchy" when they don't hear what they wanted to. If you don't agree, i'm open to criticism :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

agree

23 posts • Page 1 of 3