Why are some people on this site so bitchy?

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

snowboss

by snowboss

Oh spongebob, You have hit the nail of life on the head my friend - - so many times in other avenues I have unfortunatley upset people by simply answering a question they ask only to realize they were looking for support in their cause and not an opinion or actual answer to their question - -WISE WORDS good call

Also I am a new member and while I have seen a few of the tanks in question posted and thought "wow, that was harsh" I also agree that firmness and honesty is the only way to encourage improvement.

I am a salt tank person and my tank looked like crap {cycleing} and I have gotten more good posative information on how to deal with it and fix it, from this site than anywhere else....keep up the good work people we all need each other in some form or another.

396fire

by 396fire

I agree 100%

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i thought i might revive this thread, as some new users (ok actually one new user) in the freshwater forum are "testing the waters" of our patience.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I think some people can't take written criticism in particular. The written word is easily misinterpreted when tone and inflection can't be heard or sensed. It's not unique to this forum, check out *any* kind of forum online. There are always those people. It's simply best to ignore them. We learned that too, didn't we?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Ahhh! I love the beach after a storm! Or maybe the landscape after a blizzard! Some of you are up in snow country.

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah i'm not in this thread...

fixed...

j/k... now for my contribution on this subject...

i understand that even though some people still do the neon blue gravel and plastic plants they are still putting alot of thought and effort into building thier tank... when i see tanks i always look at it or try to look at it from thier point of view and exerience...

i know when i show them one of my tanks they are pretty blown away and start asking all kinds of questions... but it's okay... unless it's a reef, i've never seen a freshwater, planted, any thing as nice as some of the tanks that are on this site at a petshop... and i frequent about 40 petshops a month... what they see is the setups at petco and wal-marts and they get content with that...

so i judge tanks on how much thought and effort they actually put into that tank... plus... maybe it's thier first tank... my first tank had black gravel and decorations from walmart... now i go to the mountains and streams to get my decor... maybe every one goes thru it...

so don't talk bad about people's tanks that have blue gravel and convicts... i know it's just criticism, but it's maybe the best they know...

oh... and PAGE 2 OWNAGE!!!!...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Gumbii. You have such a level headed and insightful way of looking at things. I think it's true that many people do put a lot of effort into their tanks even if they don't want to go with live plants or can't because of the fish. If you live in an area with some nice aquarium-only stores it's amazing how beautiful they can make their tanks, especially the salt water ones. I've never seen a live coral tank in a large public aquarium come even close to the beauty of most aquarium stores in my city, and that goes for planted tanks too. I've been to Sea World and the Aquarium of the Pacific in California, and finding a live plant or live coral in their multi-million dollar businesses is near to impossible. The thing I got from seeing beautiful planted tanks in the aquarium stores in my area is that it's so easy! If you have some halfway decent lights and gravel that's not really large in size, and a couple inches deep, all you have to do is buy the plants and stick em in, pretty much. Gumbii, I also like to incorporate things from my natural environment as long as I clean them. I have a virgin geode in my 100 gallon on the right side. It's one of those rocks that is like a crystal cave when broken or cut open. I know it's probably beautiful inside, but I like the virgin egg like quality of it and I don't want to open it. I've got some big round rocks from the beach as well. I just wish I was able to find wood that will sink and not rot like the nice African (or whatever) wood avaliable at aquarium stores that costs so much money. However our tanks are decorated, the reality is that we have beautiful, living ,mini worlds that bring us a great deal of happiness.

gumbii

by gumbii

there's a river bed behind my house where i've gotten alot of tree roots and such... the river leads to whittier narrows and the damn, so i do find some nice stuff... i boil them for a couple of days and throw them in...

i remember seeing this guy on ebay hustling some gorgeous, GORGEOUS!!! driftwood that he picked up from elephant foot lake here in california... my friend's and I were planning to bust a trip over there, but bah... it never happened...

so far all of my rock is local... if i got it from the cliffs of the beaches in malibu, the rivers of the asuza mountains and everywhere else i find them...

and you're right about the reefs in sea world and such... but alot of captive reefs are better maintained than those in the seas... i've seen reefs in hawaii and such, and they aren't as colourfull and vibrant as some tanks i've seen around... in nature they are more scattered and randomly placed on the ocean floor... in tanks they are placed where they are more pleasing to the eye...

gumbii

by gumbii

ha... it's funny when you mention the level headedness and stuff...

when people see me they trip out on the way i look... don't judge a book by it's cover... or thier tank...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You got that right! Live and learn!

Why are some people on this site so bitchy?

23 posts • Page 2 of 3