Curious about the profile of a "fishkeeper".

50 posts • Page 1 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

When I started this hobby a few months ago I didn't think about the people I might encounter, just the fish. It seems like most fish people are men, or maybe it's just men who tend to use the forums? Many online forums of various types seem to have the inevitable bickering and what not, but I don't see that here, why not? Do most fish forums seem like this one or is this one unique? And is it "fishkeeper" or "aquarist"?

Zambize

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I totally noticed the same thing...I did a little fish forum shopping to begin with and the "cool factor" of this one was what drew me to it. I like to think of myself as more of a beginner "aquarium enthusiast"....only because it sounds cool. lol And alot of the posters on this forum DO seem to be men. Hm.....

Christina-female-aquarium-enthusiast-Bug lol

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

it might have to do with the relative age of this site... maybe older sites tend to "spoil" with age?

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I actually used to frequent a popular cichlid site/forum, but all that happened there was crazy fighting so I left and found this one. I really think this one is great so I hope it stays that way. Oh, and I am a man so I guess I am fitting into your theory. Sorry about that.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

trust me the bikering was here a short time ago... and i think most of us know each other by first name.. when the site picks up and there is hundreds of members every one will have there own opinions and a way of doing things and if your not open minded to what others have to say..thats when the problems will start..imo

zambize

by zambize

How old is this site?

Nothing wrong with most being guys. It's good actually. Everyone shares their personal experiences here, but guys tend to be more fact-based and research-oriented and females generally speak more from perspective or personal experience. They are both good, and are gross generalizations, but the approach of guys is good with this particular hobby. My 2 cents, or maybe 25 cents.

Zambize (unabashed female)

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

For the record i'm a grown man... who likes spongebob squarepants if you all must know where I got the nickname!

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

LOL i guess i would be more along the lines of serious collector, fish keeper, planted tank nut! ok now that i got that out there, just wanted to say that there have been a few quibbles here but most are squashed quite rapidly, generally speaking everyone here is here for a common interest and common goal, to share knowledge, make friends and get help. this creates a bond amongst people like ourselves who are very into what we are into. (im writing a business plan so i can open my own lfs, as the area i am in has one pet store really and they deal mainly with dog grooming, food and boarding, they have a small fish room with about 20, 20 gal tanks they stock with the basics, this will be a nice addition to the clients that i already have as monthly maintenance income)

and just to sit on spongebobs bench for a second, i am a grown man and still everynight after work come home have a glass of kool-aid and watch cartoon network before bed.
(and spend an hour or so on this site)
as to the majority of us being men, that doesn't make a diff, we are all in it for the fun and enjoyment of it. (almost said we are all in it for the fish but that could be misconstrued as a dirty little pun by some of these jesters)

Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

LOL looking at everyones avatar and seeing their join date bellow is kinda funny i just realized that i am an old timer on this site.

miami754

by miami754

This is a cool thread. I guess I have never fully introduced myself on this site. It would be fun to know some more things about the people on here.

As for me, my name is Robert and I am 26. I live in Colorado and I just graduated with an M.S. in physics from the University of Georgia (go Bulldogs). I love to raise fish and go fishing for catfish, crappe, and bass (I head down south in the summer for some vacations to do this as these fish are scarce here in Colorado). I also love to watch college football and that pretty much takes up my time in the Fall. I am a Learning Products Engineer for an oscilloscope manufacturer and love my job. I have been married for 7 years and have a 6 year old daughter and a 9 month old daughter. And ... that's about it. Oh, and I love to write. I am working on a book and I write articles for this site. What about all of you guys/girls? Some general bios would be nice if you are comfortable with them.

50 posts • Page 1 of 5