Curious about the profile of a "fishkeeper".

50 posts • Page 5 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Dark Ruby (Adam) is 16. There are many young people who are much more mature than folks 4 times their age. I love when younger people think about who they are and why they're here. Sometimes that takes a while, but if you are a thinker and use your heart it will come with time. I grew up with highly educated parents and I was given the chance to go to Cornell University fro free because my dad was the chairman of Cornell's geology Dept, but I was trying to find myself and didn't get even the mediocre grades I needed to go to Cornell. I wish I had stayed in school and received a degree from Cornell back when I could. That would have made the last 25 years so much easier!

I guess I've learned a lot about life from what happened so I won't beat myself up for it.

I was able to go back to school at 40 and now I'm qualified to make a good living helping people breath as a respiratory therapist. I'll be the primary expert understanding ventilators and using arterial blood samples to maintain the right acid/base balance in the body. It takes a very experienced person to know the difference between blowing off excess co2 and maintaining a life supporting amount of oxygen in the tissues when working with seriously compromised lungs. I enjoy touching these people in a comforting way as many health professionals do everything but touch the patient in a friendly nurturing way.

It's very nice to have women and men straight or otherwise on this forum. I grew up in a community full of all types who were friends with each other. Bikers, rednecks, gays, lesbians, hippies, educated hippies, pagans (white magick: No messing with others' wills) and regular band playing heavy partying stoner, hallucinogen takers. The community was very special to me, and I with my redneck GF brought the hippy/pagan and redneck communities together with very productive results. Won't go into it all, but my redneck biker friends got into the buisness of making beautiful African drums from scratch including didgeridoos,, and some even sowed the beautiful bags to put them all in. They never learned to play their amazing drums, but I was very impressed as to the time and skill they put into it.

snowboss

by snowboss

wow....i feel so small in this world now...even though I feel like a link in the ever groing chain of life at the same time.....your words are as sharp as a sword and will be invaluable for a long, long time....i have cut a pasted it so i can print it out and re read it about 1 million times, lol,
I don't want to miss any little tid bits in there and my brain is not capable of processing that much thought in one sitting.........................

You have an uncanny way of makeing all forms fit in a peaceful coexsistance.....as i truly believe we were designed to do....white, black, gay, straight, christian, non christian etc etc................and the absolute funniest thing about it is .....the eyes needed to understand the consept of which you spoke of are that of a child....completly inocent, untainted by stero type, political interest and parental upbringing......................

it's gonna take some time to internalize this one bud,

Al

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Untainted by stereotype and parental upbringing could be debated.

Z

snowboss

by snowboss

that goes with out saying of course...........but I meant as seen through the eyes of a child in all their inocents "before" the thoughts and processes of whatever upbringing takes affect....for example, my sister has a baby boy, he's the cutest thing....and has to watched closely as he will approach anyone as if they are friends or family....he hasn't yet learned what is acceptable or what is not acceptable ...he just takes in everything for simply what it is and has no opinion, fear, love or idea in either direction "right" or "wrong" pending on how he will be raised by his mom and dad.................Interestingly enough, i was raised in a household of certain beliefs and have in most areas changed my mind and direction of thought......where does independant thinking come from? what enables us to look at a taught social moray and say "I don't support that" or "i think thats one sided"? - -LOL never thought a few clown fish and a crab would bring back sociology 101as it relates to my belief system in life..............FISH RULE !!!!! Al

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think we are all a product of our environment as well as who we are as products of many lifetimes as an individual spirit. I'm willing to change the way I think of things, but so far I haven't seen contradictory evidence to RATIONALLY counter it.

The Tibetans believe that after we die we are 7 times more vulnerable to seductions and fears. We float around at first sometimes not even realizing we are dead, and unless we focus on the light we eventually get attracted to our future parents to live out another lifetime on Earth. I've only read about these things and don't have personal experience with death as far as I can remember, but something in our karma supposedly draws us to the energetic relationship of our future parents and at some point, whether it be at conception or sometime after, we become fixed within a growing fetus. So in a way, we choose our parents in order to go through certain experiences needed to bring us closer to omnipresent light, God I guess.

I've heard that Saint Constantine of Constanople (something like that) changed the way the church wanted people to think of this life. They removed the earlier teaching of reincarnation taught by Jesus. I'll probably get grief for this, but anyway, supposedly the church fathers decided that reincarnation gave people too much time to be lazy or screw up, and that people should believe that we have only one life to live before we go to Hell or Heaven.

I usually don't feel particularly connected to God so to speak. I do feel that I've had experiences that can't be denied, and no preacher, who is only a man, or a woman I guess, vulnerable to corruption and the seduction of power will ever be able to take away what I have seen and experienced in my life. Unfortunately, so many people who think they will always be forgiven seem to think they have an unlimited licence to do evil, to in effect blackmail God. They go about their lives thinking that since we are all sinners that we may as well just keep sinning without much thought of the karmic burden we accumulate. I also don't think Jesus just wants us to go to church and praise him. I think the message is to treat every person we meet as if they were Jesus in disguise.

I'll stop with this topic now, because I've probably touched a few nerves. The work we have to do in this life should be more about how we treat each other and less about the semantics of all this. My goal isn't to make divisions, but to have friends, be compassionate, and celebrate life.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh yea. Children! They are so amazing in their ability to see through innocent and wonder filled eyes. I was pissed off when I knew I was going to be a dad, but when I saw this little being come into this world with my flesh and blood who looked at me with unconditional love and trust I changed. I've had so much fun seeing things through his eyes. I think you get to do that as a parent, and then as a grandparent again if you're lucky enough to get all that. I guess some of us don't, but there are countless children who don't have parental figures to go around. And in spite of all that, I think there are countless roles to play in this drama of life, and not all those roles include being with children either.

Open for different discusions here!

I just found a good as new Fluval canister filter at a garage sale for $5!!!!!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Indeed, we all have our role to play. I've always chosen to work with the underdog, the existing and already damaged. I've worked extensively in animal rescue and rehabilitation. I'm not talking about petting puppies on adoption day, this is hardcore work with voiceless victims of unspeakable acts. Hell, I've never even had a puppy, they always get homes. I also work with teenagers who have had their first taste of trouble. This work is nothing like what people usually assume. I've never wanted a child. There are too many already here, animal and human, that have been ignored. (Insert music appropriate for a martyr here ;)

Z

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have some friends who feel much like you do I think. My son's mother is a registered nurse working with abused children and teens who are wards of the state and she's told me some horror stories. One little mildly retarded deaf girl who is 13 now I think, was raped by her father, brother and uncle repeatedly when she was 3. That is THREE!

Now, when ever she's touched she immediately tears off her clothes and starts sticking objects and whatever in both orifices. It must be heart wrenching.

I heard that there are 500,000 children in the custody of the state of California. I saw it on a newspaper and I couldn't believe it. I may have the number wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw it right.

I also wanted to say that I didn't want a child when my GF got pregnant. I probably wouldn't have chosen to have children maybe ever. My friend Jen and I talk about her not having children and she's very happy with the decision she made. Her cats are from a shelter owned by her sister and I love to visit her and say hi to Sammy. When the other one died Jen was really really depressed and didn't even open the box where the ashes were packed, even though there was another nice decorative box inside, until her sister brought her out to her(sisters) land and made a ritual of it.

PS I know there's a stigma attatched to certian things and I just want to say that I also feel for the under dog. I feel for all the people whoes countries the US has bombed, and I think about what I would do if some other country bombed and killed my family. I just might strap something around my body, and instead of sitting in a chair and pressing a button, I just might make my feelings clear and make a hero's sacrifice. I guess the suicide bombing thing can sometimes be likened to the US soldiers (who are young mostly poor kids) and suicide bombers (who many times are young and are sent to their duty by wealthy men who brainwash these people into killing themselves) where the ones who do the planning sit safe in their luxury.

My sons mother was born in Afganistan, and I got to see the politics from a different point of veiw.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Yeah, I have a cabinet full of those decorative boxes.

leighann

by leighann

What a wonderful post! aquarist are not a dull lot, thats for sure! I must be the oldest woman here tho! 50 years on this planet has shown me some of life's more interesting moments. Married and divorced twice, my daughters are grown with chicklets of their own. I live life now to have fun and travel and meet new people with the goal being NOT to spread hate and discontent!

Curious about the profile of a "fishkeeper".

50 posts • Page 5 of 5