PONDS

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Who would like to see a water garden/pond category added to the site?

yes
95%
no
5%

Total votes : 19

Poetic_Irony2267

PONDS

by Poetic_Irony2267

wondering if there are other members out there that have installed or have on their property ponds and waterfalls, as well as keep fish in these, i have designed and installed several ponds or water gardens for friends and family members. wondering if there could be a creation of another category for us fish keepers (addicts) out here. i would love to post pics of the ponds and water gardens too show off the extreme side of fish keeping. Extreme is when you don't have enough room in your house to keep fish that you decide to create a space outside with over 1000 gallons too keep ornamental gold fish and koi in! LOL yeah i am one of those people i know it sounds insane but when it comes to tranquility nothing is more peaceful and easing to the mind than to sit and listen to the waterfall at my moms on a nice summer afternoon with a glass of wine and a good book after feeding the koi and the goldfish. it's great to watch them swim and surface and interlace their paths around the lilies and grasses. not too mention that you have created a perfect back yard habitat, the fish are only part of it, the birds love it, the frogs keep the bugs down and the amount of wildlife that come to visit this place while you are sitting right there is absolutely amazing!!!

thanks for your input!!
Brandon

Deuce15663241

by Deuce15663241

I 100% agree. The fish in my smaller 10 gallon tank used to be in my pond out back and they'll be there untill its warm enough for them to go back out. We bought them as feeders and they have grown alot since we brought them home. I wouldn't be able to get a picture of my pond up untill summer if they did add a section but i think it would be a great addition to the site. Having a pond to be able to sit near with the family can turn almost any backyard into a sanctuary.

Peterkarig3210

Re: PONDS

by Peterkarig3210

I think a pond/water garden catagory is a great idea. I dug a pond for my ex-inlaws and set up a waterfall and filtration system, and I also made a pond/watergarden on the balcony of a previous apartment. It had a 8 inch deep by 3 foot wide basin, a large scale shaped rock that was the lip for the main waterfall, and some very large bamboo peices cut lengthwise at the start of the flow. I had mini lilly pads, mosquito fish, and other small pond plants. I could put a pic of this in a pond/watergarden post if it gets going. What do you think about having a pond with a window to a living room? It would be on a hill side so the room isn't the basment, but I would love to have some big gars in something like this.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

just wanted to bring this one back to the top, as the new year is upon us and spring not so far away I am curious as to how many people are thinking about installing a water garden and what your thoughts and ideas are for your project or even other peoples projects. or even if you have ideas that friends may have discussed with you about their intentions for their water gardens and what not. It would be nice to hear from others in the forums, who may have taken fish keeping to the next level, or have desires to, I think it would be good to put your ideas out there for others to read as it may introduce them to a whole new world of fish keeping.

thanks in advance for your replies.
Brandon

jstcrusin

by jstcrusin

I also think a pond section would be very good I have a pond that I put in about 2 years ago and I pretty much spend the evening out there after a hard days work. I am also entertaining the idea of putting a pair of betta fish in it when it gets warmer

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

As the weather warms up, here in the north east just wanted to bring this back to the top and see how many people are going to be installing new ponds/water features, and what everyone is doing to prep their current ponds for the up coming spring and summer months.
can't wait to hear what everyone has in mind,
Brandon

zambize

by zambize

I have something in my yard, actually two somethings, not sure if it's a pond, water garden, or just called a waterfall, but I'd sure like to do something with them but I have no idea where to start. They are very nice.

Count me in.

Zambize

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Farm dogs and ponds dont go well together. They always seem to ruin them. Raccoons eat the fishies too so there isnt much I can do at the moment. I'd love to have any water feature in my garden...believe me.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I learned the hard way that it's important to make a pond deep enough so the water doesn't warm too much in the summer sun, cool too much in the winter, and yea, allow raccoons and Blue herons easy access to your fish.

I believe 18 inches is the minimum depth recommended.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I would love to see a pond section .....considering I install them ....hehehe....does that cross over into free advertiseing????

I have a 14 foot water fall feature witha small Koi pond at the bottom and a 17 x 35 foot pond 3ft to 9 ft deep with a fountain water fall in my parents backyard {anniversary present to them 2 yrs ago}

PS I'm the favorite son ....LOL

PONDS

19 posts • Page 1 of 2