PONDS

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Who would like to see a water garden/pond category added to the site?

yes
95%
no
5%

Total votes : 19

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I love digging Boss. Wish I was near you and could work with you on some projects.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

that would be cool bud........I have a mini excavator a skid steer and a family farm any time you wanna do some diggin come on over ............

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

awesome to hear from everyone, and boss i am with ya on the favorite son thing, every spring i get a call, "when ya coming over to clean out the ponds and get the waterfall going?"
LOL it's fun to do since i don't have a place of my own that i can install a nice water feature like i did at my mom's place.
pk you're right on with the 18 inches depth thing, no less than that and deff not in direct sunlight.... or you end up with a bog.... lol the ponds at my moms are roughly four ft deep so we have no problems with temp or racoons, or other critters that may think the three foot long koi would make a nice snack.....!
being that i am in the northeast and get lots of snow and ice, i use a horse water trough heater to keep a nice hole in the ice for air gas exchange over the winter time, that means i have no fish kill off due to ice covering the whole top of the pond.

Boss, sounds like you got me beat by a bit, lol i did almost all the digging by back labor... what a chore that is. i had to keep scale down cause i didn't want to dig myself too deep, i would have never gotten out of that hole... will post some pics when they start allowing pond pics on the site if not i will post some to my photobucket account and post links.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I look forward to the second half of my life, the half where I actually can travel and go to exotic places with my son. I'd definitely fly up to Canada, rent a car and come visit you Boss.

I also want to take him sailing, surfing, and scuba diving. I used to have a Hobi-cat catamaran sail boat and I sold it just before my son was old enough to go out on it. I live in the city now, and I had to park it on the street which caused problems. It ended up being too much of a liability as I didn't have a good place to store it.

I think it would be a lot of fun to travel around the world and visit folks I meet on these forums.

Hopefully we can get a pond forum going here.

gumbii

by gumbii

the only bad thing that has happened with my ponds and my dogs is a puppy drowning in one of my small ponds... that's why i build a net around they...

another thing is one of my huge pit bulls would eat my water hyacinth and other plants... but i still breed the pits and i have no problems... they keep the cats and racoons away... i only have a problem with cranes/herrings every spring, but never lost any fish due to wild animals...

i have huge ponds right now... fully stock with fish and plants for almost 10 years now... the ponds just keep getting bigger and bigger...

jstcrusin

by jstcrusin

I sure would like a pond section my son and I just emptied and cleaned out our pond and now we are thinking that we want to make it bigger and add a waterfall and maybe a little stream I would love to see what other people are doing

gumbii

by gumbii

yeah... making a pond bigger is tough... but i have 20 200g breeding tubs running... so when i want to redo a pond, i stick all of the fish in there and get to work... i started out with a 120g pond... now i have about 50 thousand gallons of ponds in my back yard... i might put another pond on my front lawn this summer... probably another 23 thousand gallon monster... but i'll see...

gumbii

by gumbii

oh and IMHO... streams and such suck... i hate they... they evaporate the water quickly, and are high maintenance... i do have tier waterfalls for aeration, but nothing scenic or major splashing going on...

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

the ponds at my mom's that i installed, have a stream connecting them, i have large and small rocks in the stream along with a potato sack that i fill with carbon and hide under the Japanese style bridge that connects the walkway to the main garden, this helps tons with filtration. it's worked wonders so far, i have this set up along with a submersible home made filter that finishes off the filtration before sending it back up to the six foot waterfall i installed.
have fun and good luck,
Brandon

PONDS

19 posts • Page 2 of 2