planted tanks

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

planted tanks

by a1k8t31524

i was wanting to start a planted tank, been doing alot of reading on the subject, and have learned quite a bit. but i was wondering about everyones opinions on it.
what is a good size to startout with?
heated substrate or not?
and what is the best substrate to use?
co2 injection from the start or add it later?
what is the best types of filters to use?
and what fish thrive best in planted tanks?

tsegura

Re: planted tanks

by tsegura

I have just started a planted tank about 2 months ago,I haven't done anything special to the tank I already had set up. It has regular aquarium gravel,a wisper power filter, and flouresent lighting. I bought plant bulbs from wal-mart and a few plants from a local pet store and they are all doing great.I have done alot of research on co2 injection, there are some great plans online for making a co2 system, which I'm thinking of making. I don't have co2 now and a few pet stores I have talked to have said that I don't need it . I hope this helps some.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Read some of the other forums on this subject. I have said quite a bit on it. I would start out with plants that don't require much light, use regular flourescents from a hardware store if you want to spend less, and run the lights 8-10 hours a day. Any decent filter will do, though I like a combo of using powerheads for current/ airation, and a Fluval type canister filter for the bulk of the biological and particulate filtration. I have done wonderfully this way, never used CO2, and I've had so much growth I've had to thin out the tanks regularly. Some kinds of fish clean algae off plants, some kinds of snails(the wrong ones eat the plants, the right ones clean the plants), fresh water shrimp(which also clean plants) Good low light plants are anacharis, java moss, java fern, and on the borderline(I've done fine with them), amazon sword. If you want high light demanding plants like grasses and others, well that's gona cost you in lights, you'll have more problems maintaining algae, the biological cycle, etc. I believe that you need to have some fish in order to feed the biological cycle which ultamately fertilises your plants unless you want to mess with fertiliser. I've allways had problems with algae when I've used any fertiliser. Have fun! Peter

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i'd like to add i have done very well with lilies, peace lilies, and the red broad leafed variety that you can get at walmart, the bulbs come in a package and are about three or four bucks a package and you can get two to three bulbs a package.. anubias nana, and bartieri are others that do well in low light. no co2 or any of that in my tanks either. proper aeration and water movement really are the only things to worry about, aeration because plants will use up oxygen at night when the lights are out and if you have too many plants it could suffocate your fish, and fresh water ghost shrimp to clean the algae off the plants is key to not having black algae growth on the plants, just make sure you don't have fish in the tank that will eat the shrimp or you will be wondering how come they don't last. lol they disappear rather quickly in my cichlid tank as i feed the shrimp to them as a snack when i have too many in my community tank.

good luck and have fun with it, planted tanks are great to have and do a great job of keeping your fish healthy and happy, just make sure to remove any dead leaves or decaying parts of plants as this could also become toxic to your fish.

Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Maybe the anubis nana, (nana meaning small I think) is what I'm calling anacharis. It's got a really nice look to it and I agree Brandon, water lillies are really cool too. I just put some in two of my tanks. I got a smallish bonsai pot, put some organic peat based soil in the bottom half, and some gravel to hold it down on top to keep the peat soil from washing out. I know lilly (lilly pads) grows in stagnant or pretty rotten or black muck, so I thought the peat idea would be a good way to grow them in aquaria. Peter

AdamTexas

by AdamTexas

I started with a 10 gallon aquarium with a flouresent light. I just use regular rock substrate from Petco. I got an Amazon Sword plant and Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) from there also. My cousin gave me part of her Java Fern plant and it, along with all my plants, are thriving. I have not used any fertilizers or CO2 systems and i think they are not really neccesary. I recently upgraded to a 29 gallon aquarium with a flouresent light, and I transfered all my plants into there. Tetras and Gouramis seem to really enjoy a planted tank (I have neon and lemon tetras, and gold and blue gouramis). I use a Wisper power filter and a heater in both of my aquariums.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

woah you sure did bring this back from the dead, this was my second post on here ever.........

adehaan86

by adehaan86

go to aquirumplants.com they got very cheap substrate and suppose to be better the eco complete. I plan on getting substrate and there fertizler. Otherwise im going to use to small power heads. and 3.9 WPG lighting. Never plan on more then that. I do plan on having my fish(guppies)breed like crazy so they have plenty of CO2 for my plants and fert.

giggity

by giggity

I have the same situation as tsegura and my tank is doing fine... i have no co2 injection and normal gravel...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

so a1, how goes the jungle..

planted tanks

21 posts • Page 1 of 3