planted tanks

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well about once a week i sell off about $20 worth of overgrowth to my lfs .... so i think it is doing pretty good :) it if funny that someone brought this post back up and kinda ironic too i think this was my 1st or 2nd post
back in may of 07......geesh

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Looking at your pic, before the post date, I was thinking you should be answering questions about planted tanks, lol.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah like i said i am not quite sure someone decided to bring this one back up??????

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

AdamTexas probably was browsing thorugh posts - a1k8t3 was the first post he relied to, because he only has 1 post by his name - and happen to come across something he was interested in, and wha-la, he brought your post up to date

josephine

by josephine

Hi, I am impressed that you don't use fertilizer and have normal gravel. Do you use anything else like blackwater extract? I have some algae starting up on my amazon swords and it is not getting better. Not much algae on the glass. Every few weeks I put in the root tablets and I use liquid fertilizer. I also put in a little bit of blackwater extract. I have been using very soft stream water for water changes. I think perhaps I might be giving them too much light and this might cause the algae. I was taking the plants out every few days to wash the algae off but it is such a hassle to plant them again as my tank is very deep. What light requirements in your experience do the amazon swords require? I don't really want any other type of plants, they are the most readily available as well.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

my amazon sword grew fine in just under 1wpg. It needs a deep substrate because it has a huge root structure to support the size the plant can reach..

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i use liquid ferts, the tablets, blackwater expert and co2, my amazon soward is massive but i have 5wpg about every 2 weeks i have about 10 or so little plantlets too

josephine

by josephine

Thanks, only got to this forum now again as I forgot where it was and then saw it listed on my profile today. duh. Yes, I think it is the lighting. I have another nana type plant which is under the turtle log and it does not get algae at all. I also left some peat for plants under the gravel for too long and I think it was causing problems as well. Also, the 'electronic CO2 system' I bought is really wierd - it comprises a carbon slab with silver plated outer cover. This goes in the tank and is connected to a device outside the tank which regulates the amount of CO2 you want from 1-10. However, it seems to cause a lot of carbon powder and this may have added to the problem. My phosphate was very high although amonia, nitrites and nitrates nil. So I took out the peat and the CO2 system, did a full clean of the tank and gravel and now all seems in order. I am also decreasing the lighting time. Thank you!.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Im glad it was brought back, it answers a lot of questions I had.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Peterkarig, what would the good and bad snails be? Which catagory would the gold or black mystery snail fall under? Good or bad for the plants.

planted tanks

21 posts • Page 2 of 3