"Centerpiece" fish for 55 gallon

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zankren

by Zankren

We are starting a planted 55 gallon community tank. So far on the list of fish we are considering is:

Siamese algae eaters (5 probably), Otos (7 maybe?), Cherry shrimp (10 maybe?), Boesemani Rainbow (thinking 3-5), Blue Ram Cichlid (a pair), 2 different types of tetras (probably 7-9 of each type), African dwarf clawed frog (2-3), and maybe some ghost glass cats (5-7 maybe).

So that's what we were looking at so far. I was hoping to have one larger fish (6-8" perhaps) in the tank as sort of a centerpiece fish. Anyone have any suggestions? Also feel free to comment on what other fish we were already considering (too many, too little, don't get entirely?). I'm open to any suggestions...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the clawed frog be a danger to very small fish like the Tetras? I'm no expert on Cichlids either, but it seems that Tetras would sound like dinner to them. Others are probably experts on this though. Also, it sounds like it is over the 1" per gallon rule, which I know is controversial to some anyway.

I would start with your centerpiece in mind and build around it instead of starting with the peripheral fish and working to your prize.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

well as far as the amount of fish, this seems like its running close, however what type of filteration are you planning? this will heavily influence how many fish you can keep.

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

Well,I agree with the others but one thing you need to watch out for is fish like the siamese algae eaters may change in their behavior and eating habits over tiime. Other fish may do this and sometimes they can be more agressive the older they get.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

im no cichlid expert, except for the angelfish i keep, but lake cichlids are known for tearing out plants, so consider this. THe cichlid experts should be chiming in soon.

Poetic_irony3872

by Poetic_irony3872

to chime in on the cichlid part of this, i would have to say that the rams you are thinking of getting would be fine with everything you are thinking about getting except the frog and the shrimp, if you want a good centerpiece fish try a discus or two and cut back on the rainbows as well as the glass cats... the gold algae eaters will be fine as long as you going to have live plants also a nice piece of driftwood will work to keep the ph down to the level you need for discus, they are expensive but when you have a nice setup it's well worth the price also if you have salt fish you know how expensive fish can be. (for those that don't know) blue and gold rams are some of the most docile of the cichlids that you will ever find, well them along with discus. as far as tetra go try a larger school of neon tetra they will be awesome when they shoal from one side of the tank to the other.

Good luck and enjoy,
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

And I was thinking about the composition of the decor of a tank! I like having a little trail or pretend stream winding into the back ground. To add to Brandon's bit on Diskus; If you get diskus you're supposed to get at least 2 or 3 or they will be very unhappy and skittish. They also need at least 80 degree water and it shouldn't be too alkaline, preferring soft acidic water. Actually from what I've heard is that the newer breeds of diskus have been bred too be easier to care for, but they're still a big money item and like I said you need 3 for them to be happy, and other members of a community tank can freak them out too if they swim around too fast. I wouldn't have them unless I had plenty of plants for them to hide in as well. Peter

Zankren

by Zankren

I wasnt planning on having all of those fish I listed above, those were just the ones we were thinking of. I don't actually think at this point we'd be getting the ghost glasses, and my gf is NOT a big fan of discuses otherwise that would be a great centerpiece fish. I think we'll probably end up not having a centerpiece fish and dropping the ghost glasses and keeping everything else but adjusting the numbers.

About the blue rams, I know they will do fine with the other fish and plants, but as to the shrimp and little froggies, should I rethink them? We really want the frogs and shrimp, so if they wont work together its the rams that will be getting thrown out. Should I just do that? Our tank is going to be pretty heavily planted so how worried should i be if i get a couple rams?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have an African Dwarf Frog, and he's fast and good at hiding, but remember that at some point he must surface in order to breathe. That leaves him very vulnerable.

Zankren

by Zankren

OK changed things around...

Updated:
3 SAEs, 5-7 Otos, 8 cherry shrimp, 5 Boesemani Rainbow, 12-15 tetras, 2-3 dwarf clawed frogs, and 5-7 ghost glass cats.

to me this looks like a good setup, but I'm always looking for any suggestions/comments.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2