blenny blunder?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

blenny blunder?

by Snowboss4492

ok .... I hope I'm panicing for no reason here ......................... I just added a blennie to the tank 2 days yesterday...........{got him online, so i didn't get to see him before he showed up} the other fish ive gotten from them are extremly beautiful and very healthy................so my concern is although he looks to be in good shape he is just kinda laying on his side with his head up in the corner of the tank, hasn't eaten anything {i have algae in the tank and even put a couple algae waffers next to him as well} once in a while he swims around like he's looking for a way out and looks fine when he's swimming - - -is this normal behaivior for a new blenny? do they take days to start acting normal? or should i be concerned? Boss

angus4481

by angus4481

you should feed it gamma food

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i just ordered some food from petsolutions {Mr. Headers seems to have good luck with them} after reading quite a bit on them on wet web.com - -i got seaweed sheets and spirulnela {SP} - - what's gamma food? i'm going to go to the local wasabi place tomorrow and see if i can get some seaweed to hold me over - - i just hate seeing him sit there, according to the reading im doing they are pretty much non stop in their search for food....we'll see......Boss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Boss,
That's not normal at all. Does he swim fast up and down when he starts swimming? Clowns are ( damsel family) hardier than blennies. Check your ammonia and let me know if it's ok. How big is your tank?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ammonia , nitrate, nitrite all 0, ph is 8.2 temp is 78 degrees, salinity is 1.023. as you kow already it's a 20gallon long. when the lights went out he started swimming around, he seems to be staying in the filter return current for the most part, or i should say right on the side of it - - - could i have to much current in there for him to relax on the rock?? i turned my power head off.....the flter return is about 14 inches wide, its a Hagen 110 HOB filter rated fo 60-110 gallon tanks and i am also running a red sea skimmer - - so between the filter and skimmer the whole back of the tank is full, basically all return.......sorry back to "Gus" [the blenny] no he's not swimming fast up and down, he isn't struggling for air [rapid breathing] and doesn't seem to be stressed....great color, clear eyes etc etc ..thats about all i can report right now....ask if you need more info for advice, Boss

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

you sure the species you purchased waqs diurnal and not nocturnal??

snowboss

by snowboss

This is what I ordered and thats what came.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... ?pCatId=94

...they were out of small ones so they sent a medium specimin - - i don't think he's classified as noctornal, although wetwebmedia did state that they do kinda "chill" during the day hours and bust ass on the algae at night - -but when healthy and happy they will seldom stay put for long as they are continuously looking for a snack.....Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

how is he doing boss?

snowboss

by snowboss

still not really eating like i'd like....i saw him take a couple chomps at the liverock last night but he kinda spit em out....but like the night before .....as soon as the main lights went out and just the actinics were on and even after they went off....he was swimmin around like he knew what he was doing.....he looks ok this morning , still swimminn round ....i got some spirullia {SP} from my step father and he seems to look for food when i put them in but hasn't really ate them yet .....he gets more active everyday....so maybe he just needs some time eh?

Boss

jav36

by jav36

hey boss
i just got an algae blenny today and right when i put him in the tank he shot in the rocks ..havent seen him all day

lets hope he needs some time like yours

blenny blunder?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3