Need Help with New Cichlid tank!!!

25 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

I have a 1 week old 150g tank and all levels test to be fine. Here are the facts:
PH:8.0
Temp:81
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
Ammonia: .025ppm
Filters: AMiracle Wet/Dry Filter with bio balls 500g/hr & Eheim Pro 3 2078
Substrate: Crushed Coral Aragonite
Decorations: 200 lbs of Natural Red Stone

Tank is crystal clear. Upon the first day of set-up I have added the recommended amount of Cichlid Salt/Minerals. I also added stress coat and also the recommened amount of natural bio/bacteria. Bought the fish today, thinking the tank had completely cycled. After introducing fish to aquaium (1hr, by slowly adding my water to a bucket of the water they came in) I added the fish to the tank and they all died within one hour!!???

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Well luckly for you, you should be able to return all them since it happened so quick, but with regards to your cycle did you do a fishless cycle or did you have fish in there while cycling it, because a tank won't cycle if there isn't anything to break down. Also, (i don't know about where you live) but where i live some pet places feed their fish literally once a week so the water stays clean, and keep the temperatures at like 70 degres fairenheit, to save on electricity, but that harms the fish, so make sure you buy them when they are healthy. And if you go to start again (i don't know how many you put in) don't put too many in at once because the bio-load won't be able to handle it, but i don't think it was from ammonia or nitrite, the only thing i can think of beside the fish being sick when you got them would be not enough oxygen in the water because that can kill fish quickly.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

I was possibly thinking the same.......how would you suggest i put oxygen in the tank?

DanDman18

by DanDman18

There are many different ways, and everyone has their own opinion, many people will say air bubblers, but others will say it is a waste of money, you could ge a powerhead, basically anything that keeps the top water moving, i would suggest an air bubbler, because they aren't all that expensive, and i personally like the look of the bubbles, but its up to you. By the way did you get your money back for the fish?
2297f-15326_1.jpg

sweetlou

by sweetlou

Ha....yes got the money back for the fish and got 8 more cichlids put them in the tank and they all died in one hour too!!!???
Adding oxygen....LFS stated that they didnt think that was needed....because that is one of the great benefits of having a wet/dry filter...it produces large amounts of oxygen.
So I am still totally baffled.......all levels are just fine even tested chlorine today and that was also at zero....just as the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are...its crazy....cant keep a fish alive!!?? Pleeeeeease....need some help!!

pro68camaro

by pro68camaro

i bet that your problem is low oxygen. when i was rearranging my tank i accidently in hooked my air house to power head and i left for alittle bit and i come back and all my fish are at the top of my tank gasping for air so i hooked it back up and within 15 minutes they were all swimming around again. I also have a eheim pro 3 filter put mines the 3e. i willing to bet thats your problem. buy something to put air in your tank. im willing to bet theyll live next time

DanDman18

by DanDman18

How were the fish while they were living, were they stressed or what, i am very curious by this myself and was thinking about it, the only other thing i thought of right now, is that there is too much salt in the water, I havent ever added cichlid salt or minerals, only some salt when they were sick, but when they healed i water changed it all out, hope i can help.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

I have no problem getting a power head or some air stones,,,,but I keep getting told that the wet/dry filter produces plenty of oxygen....is this not the case?

DanDman18

by DanDman18

How were the fish while they were living, were they stressed or what, i am very curious by this myself and was thinking about it, the only other thing i thought of right now, is that there is too much salt in the water, I havent ever added cichlid salt or minerals, only some salt when they were sick, but when they healed i water changed it all out, hope i can help.

sweetlou

by sweetlou

@dandman18 and thanks to pro68camaro too...
As soon as I place the fish in the tank they are swimming and having good movement but moving their mouth and gills very rapidly.....after around 40 minutes they all start to move their bowels and then they become very fatigued and stop swimming and then croak...........all in around 60-90 minutes.

25 posts • Page 1 of 3